free website stats program Route 66 | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Route 66

Having riden on alot of highway I would said yes do it, but seeing your from the east coast I would check into, the first time anyway, going with a tour. The reason is they can tell/show you alot as the road stops and starts often. If you have the time take the tour west and self tour east. Oh and don't forget "IN AND OUT BURGERS", Best fast food burgers you will ever have!!!

I must have had a bad day at In and Out. I've heard from so many people how great they are. I didn't get it. It was average to below average for me.

Having riden on alot of highway I would said yes do it, but seeing your from the east coast I would check into, the first time anyway, going with a tour. The reason is they can tell/show you alot as the road stops and starts often. If you have the time take the tour west and self tour east. Oh and don't forget "IN AND OUT BURGERS", Best fast food burgers you will ever have!!!

I must have had a bad day at In and Out. I've heard from so many people how great they are. I didn't get it. It was average to below average for me.

I agree with Skratch - not a huge fan of In and Out. Now, I'd eat at Five Guys every day if my arteries would let me!

The Route 66 ride sounds great. I'll have to check out the links and get AAA to run me the triptik just in case I get the time to do it!

Thanks for all the great info. This is why I like this site so much. great info and great people on here

The Mother Road, and its sites and stops, is disappearing at a fast rate. The published guide books are good, and recommended. However, as you enter a new state, stop at a known Rt66 stop, and get the latest local publication on RT66. it will be more current (by a suprisingly long shot). When we went, some of the well known sites dropped off literally weeks or days before we got there.

If starting at the Chi-Town end, be careful as you are coming into Kansas. The Mother Road will actually deposit you in a farmer's heavy equipment barn. :rofl. Apparently, some of the road's property has been sold to private parties and used for something else, so you have to go as far as you can, then orienteer yourself to the next place it picks up, where you can cruise it. The eastern end of Rt66 is a serious orienteering task. Fun, but not an efficient putt. From western Kansas on west, the interstate just got laid over the top of Rt66, and gets straight. I hate interstates. East of there, in Kansas, Rt66 weaves from one side of the interstate to the other (essentially serving as the local access road on the sides of the interstate), and sometimes vectors far enough off that you lose the interstate all together, and get to enjoy the ka-thump-ka-thump-ka-thump of the original rt66 concrete road. You'll know it when you see, hear, and feel it. Also, it will be noticeable in that it has gently curved curbs on either side.

Do it. You'll enjoy it. Just don't be in a hurry.

Enjoy,
Rich P

My wife and I started to ride it, went from Chicago to just short of Oklahoma it takes alot of time to stay on the 66 route thought this part. We had to turn around for a family emergency. I've heard the best part starts in Oklahoma so we will try it again someday. Most of it at that point was following frontage roads along the interstates. Saw some ineresting stuff though. Good Luck.

OK you try in and out burgers and let us know. I just notice you said taking the ride in the "Spring" just so you know around Flagstaff it can and does snow in the Springtime.

I've ridden parts of it, but it can be an adventure sometimes to find it. From Arkansas I went to Oklahoma City first and then west from there. It roughly paralells I-40, when I-40 doesn't consume it.

It can be like having your own private road. Where it exists it is in good shape and has virtually no traffic on it, even as you see and hear the truck traffic on I-40.

Be prepared though, you may ride it for miles and then it just dead-ends and you have to turn around and go back, get on I-40 and find 66 again. It's worth it though. If you need to make time you can just hop on I-40 and go.

I made it that way, to Kingman I think, b4 turning north thru Las Vegas.

I know I missed some of the sight-seeing stuff, so I need to do it again. I well remember a portion in New Mexico that was deserted of traffic, where I found a dead rattle snake in the road. I stopped, parked on the centerline, and cut the rattles off. Sat there for a while, NO traffic. Was within sight of the interstate.

Go while you can, it seems to be dissappearing.

Interestingly enough, I learned about rt 66 from the kid's movie 'Cars'. The DVD extras talked alot about the old rt 66, enough for me to plan a leg of a trip to find it.

I stopped at a small town called Radiator City..it was a weird little town all but shut down with defunct tourist shops bordering main street. Weirdest of all..they had a large part of the road completely repaved..from main street to about a mile out of town was brand new black top. Weird.:)

I stopped at a small town called Radiator City..it was a weird little town all but shut down with defunct tourist shops bordering main street. Weirdest of all..they had a large part of the road completely repaved..from main street to about a mile out of town was brand new black top. Weird.:)

I thought that is was Radiator Springs ??????? :s

Back