free website stats program Rode yesterday & ran out of gas | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rode yesterday & ran out of gas

I can't believe this thread is drug out this long, sorry but is JMO. If you can't figure out how long you go on a tank of fuel then you may need a new calculator. the simple solution is if you are not sure on the amount of fuel that is in the tank, stop at a gas station and fill your bike with gas.

I would have replied sooner but for some reason got locked out. As for calculating mpg's, my bike has never gotten less than 30 mpg's & has always had at least 1 gallon left when the light comes on. I was 20 miles from home when the light came on, but it was 30* out & a big headwind. It was 30* so I felt like getting gas in the day when it was warmer out. Just in the time to get my key out & lock it my hands got cold. It was a great ride until then. I am going to go through all the resets for the hot & cold idle & TPS since the mileage has been down since I put in the new sensors & fuel injectors. When I got it, it got 45-50 mpg. After I had a bad fuel injector & replaced both injectors (I also played with the TPS which at the time seemed to help) hthe fuel mileage dropped down to 35-40 mpg. But this winter when it got cold out, it started to run bad & I adjusted the TPS again, got it running better (but not great) & mileage dropped down to 30-35. I did not get too worried about the first drop, giving a thought that it may have been too lean before & would rather it not be so lean. But since it has 90,000 miles on it I also thought it can't be that lean. We have a gas analyzer so will use it to fine tune that M&M fuel injection. Hope I can dial it in better that way.

Toby

I would have replied sooner but for some reason got locked out. As for calculating mpg's, my bike has never gotten less than 30 mpg's & has always had at least 1 gallon left when the light comes on. I was 20 miles from home when the light came on, but it was 30* out & a big headwind. It was 30* so I felt like getting gas in the day when it was warmer out. Just in the time to get my key out & lock it my hands got cold. It was a great ride until then. I am going to go through all the resets for the hot & cold idle & TPS since the mileage has been down since I put in the new sensors & fuel injectors. When I got it, it got 45-50 mpg. After I had a bad fuel injector & replaced both injectors (I also played with the TPS which at the time seemed to help) hthe fuel mileage dropped down to 35-40 mpg. But this winter when it got cold out, it started to run bad & I adjusted the TPS again, got it running better (but not great) & mileage dropped down to 30-35. I did not get too worried about the first drop, giving a thought that it may have been too lean before & would rather it not be so lean. But since it has 90,000 miles on it I also thought it can't be that lean. We have a gas analyzer so will use it to fine tune that M&M fuel injection. Hope I can dial it in better that way.

Toby

I understand the situation you were in, I have been there and done that. If you had running issues pertaining to MPG then you should address them. But if you new you were pressing the limit or taking a chance on your fuel level then you should have just got gas. I just as soon put gas in my bike with cold hands then warm up pushing the bike home. Hope You get everything going right on your bike soon.

A lot of local guys are packing one of these in their bag now, it's like putting on a rain suite and it won't rain, carry one of these in you saddlebag and you'll never run out of gas LOL, well at lease you don't have far to go to get gas. I think I read they even sell them at Sears now.
gas-can.jpg

Hey Chop!
You very kindly sent me some info about one of these fuel bottles last year. I bought one (had to be specially ordered in England) and it leaked like crazy. I wanted one as I felt back-up would be very useful riding down the autobahns of Germany with a 12 litre Sportster fuel tank (it's an arrestable offence to run out of gas on the motorway in Germany - the feds come down on you very hard). Well long story short - my bottle was a leaking disaster and it was all too much trouble sending it back to USA (manufacturer was really keen to be helpful to give them their due- Chopper gave me their email address) and ordering in another in time so I went with a couple of tough metal bottles like you bring camping. Didn't need them anyway but good to know I had some extra fuel. Wonder how other guys have gotten on with these saddlebag bottles - the design is clever, maybe I was just very unlucky. Thanks again for your help Chopper.

p.s. I always go by mileage and always reset the trip odometer. My light comes on anywhere between 50 and 100 miles (usually around 80-90). It is a fairly useless distraction so I stick to the miles done and knowing how much gas I usually have left in the tank. I think I can get about 120 miles from the Sportster tank. I looked into getting a larger one fitted but the dealership told me it would be around £800 (about $1250:small3d031:). That'd go a long way to changing my bike to an XL1200C..............

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry the Reda can didn't work out for you cedarbrook63, you should just been able to take it back to who ever you bought it from and they should have just given you a new one. I've sold about 4 cases of them last year and only had one problem with a valve in the spout, I gave the customer a new can, we checked it out before he took it and has been happy with it, then I call Ron at Reda he sent me a new replacement can no problem. I'm glad the metal bottles are working out for you though, would not want to run out of gas riding down the autobahns, I've heard stories.

A good rule of thumb when ridin always full tank of gas an a empty blatter.expect maybe when just a quick trip to local gro store 4 beer

Sorry the Reda can didn't work out for you cedarbrook63, you should just been able to take it back to who ever you bought it from and they should have just given you a new one. I've sold about 4 cases of them last year and only had one problem with a valve in the spout, I gave the customer a new can, we checked it out before he took it and has been happy with it, then I call Ron at Reda he sent me a new replacement can no problem. I'm glad the metal bottles are working out for you though, would not want to run out of gas riding down the autobahns, I've heard stories.

Hi Chopper. Ron is a sound bloke alright. I realize I was just unlucky with that valve. I just didn't have time to get another one ordered in (through the Spectro agent here in England) so I just took the easy option and took the refund. You're darned right about the Feds in Germany :) Generally they're bike friendly but you don't want to be on the wrong side of them on the Autobahn.
WAP.gif

Cederbrook, may want to look at the "International buyer's friend E-bay" or befriend a "Pic-y'r-part" motorcycle salvager--state side for that elusive 2007 up EFI larger capacity fuel tank, and yes you will have to change the seat too, but then many stock seats uncomfortable 'cept ol' Hobbit LOL! :)

Cederbrook, may want to look at the "International buyer's friend E-bay" or befriend a "Pic-y'r-part" motorcycle salvager--state side for that elusive 2007 up EFI larger capacity fuel tank, and yes you will have to change the seat too, but then many stock seats uncomfortable 'cept ol' Hobbit LOL! :)

Thanks NHD74F - I'll be keeping an eye out. Would be a nice little project for later in the year when the evenings start getting longer :). Right now I just want the rain to stop and get out and ride.
Hope all is well with you.

bought a pair of these cans at an H-D dealer for 27.95+tax each. ashame i couldn't get in delaware, i hate paying sales tax. just spoiled i guess.

Back