free website stats program Road King torque | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Road King torque

Bill,

You are comparing TWO Totally Different Beast...

Not only the model but the years... Early TC and Late TC... Motor changes and The gearing plus a Bazillion new to OLD parts... EPA-:small3d015:

Is your 2011 is 96" or 103"? There is a big difference there... IDLE power depends on the IDLE speed and the 11 is Much heavier than the 01 a H..... Not a King... The stock 11 doesn't have the Torque cam I suspect?

My 09 King with even the Higher Low end torque I have and 103"
(compression and CVO255 cams) Needs some throttle to get me off and running.

Gearing for First Gear IS probably WAY different also... 5 speed box to a Newer 6 speed Box... 2011, Heavier Bike plus Bigger tire needs More throttle to get her done.

You won't get the idle off on the newer bike IMHO.... More low end torque Might BUT not on My King.

You'll probably just have to DEAL with the fact: "you need to twist the Throttle some" :cry

signed.... Friend....BUBBIE :lero

All the other suggestions notwithstanding, the OPs 2011 model uses ETC, electronic throttle control or sometimes referred to as TBW. The 2001 throttle control is via a cable. There is some throttle "lag" with the TBW and I suspect that is a major contributor to the difference in the off idle response between the two bikes.:)

And if you do a stage one with a good tuner, you can eliminate that annoying lag.

All the other suggestions notwithstanding, the OPs 2011 model uses ETC, electronic throttle control or sometimes referred to as TBW. The 2001 throttle control is via a cable. There is some throttle "lag" with the TBW and I suspect that is a major contributor to the difference in the off idle response between the two bikes.:)

I agree, first thing I noticed on my Trike, plus the taller gearing, almost like slipping the clutch

Another thing I noticed on my 09, when getting started, IF you Slip the clutch a BIT More, leaving it come on Easy.... Seems the BRAIN in the bike knows not to DIE and should pickup speed on its own... You could try it... These Clutches can Take IT...:D

109,000 on mine and GRABS great with No slip.... SE spring helps...

signed....BUBBIE

Bill,

You are comparing TWO Totally Different Beast...

Not only the model but the years... Early TC and Late TC... Motor changes and The gearing plus a Bazillion new to OLD parts... EPA-:small3d015:

Is your 2011 is 96" or 103"? There is a big difference there... IDLE power depends on the IDLE speed and the 11 is Much heavier than the 01 a H..... Not a King... The stock 11 doesn't have the Torque cam I suspect?

My 09 King with even the Higher Low end torque I have and 103"
(compression and CVO255 cams) Needs some throttle to get me off and running.

Gearing for First Gear IS probably WAY different also... 5 speed box to a Newer 6 speed Box... 2011, Heavier Bike plus Bigger tire needs More throttle to get her done.

You won't get the idle off on the newer bike IMHO.... More low end torque Might BUT not on My King.

You'll probably just have to DEAL with the fact: "you need to twist the Throttle some" :cry

signed.... Friend....BUBBIE :lero

Great to hear from you FRIEND - BUBBIE! Good info too. I can live with it just as is but it's certainly NOT as easy to start from a stop as the older Heritage. I think that H you could - from an idle - just let out the clutch and it would jump out there and just idle on down the road with no throttle added!!
But, yes I must agree with you - they are two different bikes and Im sure that is the most difference in taking off. I am used to it so will just "use-as-is" and raise the RPMs to take off for now.

Bill

One thing I have noticed is when I ride my sport or dirt bike TOTALLY different, then get back on the King, I have to get back into that Electric throttle and F-Injection.

Another total difference...

Years ago, you couldn't give me injection... Today, I'd be Lost without it...

My other toys are carb and by throttle cable, not ridden mostly Every Day like the King, so some attention to throttle position and usage of clutches needed...

My, have times Changed and ME, still a Mile or so Behind...:woot:

ADAPT is KEY today...:D

signed....BUBBIE

Back