free website stats program Road King torque | Harley Davidson Forums

Road King torque

Billbo

I am really NOT sure how to word my question - but I will try. I have a 2001 Heritage and a 2011 Road King. My Heritage runs great. The RK runs great. Here is my question - hope I can describe it where you can understand it -- the H has the stage one, the RK does not. Riding the H from a stop, I can let out the clutch and the bike just simply GOES. NO revving or stalling or dying or anything - I love it! The clutch and engine just work perfect together. The RK from a stop, I need to give it lots more gas than the H or it will dye, or seems like it wants to die on me - so I give it more gas. Like it has NO torque off idle. After I get the RK going, it runs fine. Has plenty of normal power etc. going through the gears it seems to have plenty of power/torque. ONLY from a sitting stop does it act like it's gonna die on me when I let the clutch out.
Does this sound like it may be related to the "stage one" or not??? Oh yeah, the RK did come (used) with a set of aftermarket slipon mufflers - not loud, but it does still have the stock air intake/filter.

WOW that's a lot of question there. Any input or suggestions or help will be appreciated. I can certainly ride the RK "as is" but I wish it would take off like the Heritage does.

Bill

The RK is running leaner than the H.Thanks to the EPA.Buy a tuner or fuel management device like VIED,and You will no longer notice hesitation.

+1 with Harttoo's post. Maybe get more air into it too using the stage 1 setup along with a fueler will do wonders with performance.

my 2015 FLHX is noticeably different than my 2013 RK was.I give it the same amount of gas from dead stop and I'll get valve chatter,like it's gonna die.So have to give it a little more gas.Both bikes bone stock.

Are the idle RPM's any different?
Do you know the cam's or have a dyno sheet for both of them to see where the torque comes on?
The road glide is going to be quite a bit heavier than the heritage and can have a lot to do with it as well.
I rode my dyno shops drag bike (road king) and had the same issue you did and at first attributed it to it being tuned needing a ton of gas off the line but when I think about it, I bet it had more to do with throttle by wire being on the RK and not on my fatty so the throttle response will be totally different. Not sure if that is a factor for you or not.

All the other suggestions notwithstanding, the OPs 2011 model uses ETC, electronic throttle control or sometimes referred to as TBW. The 2001 throttle control is via a cable. There is some throttle "lag" with the TBW and I suspect that is a major contributor to the difference in the off idle response between the two bikes.:)

All the other suggestions notwithstanding, the OPs 2011 model uses ETC, electronic throttle control or sometimes referred to as TBW. The 2001 throttle control is via a cable. There is some throttle "lag" with the TBW and I suspect that is a major contributor to the difference in the off idle response between the two bikes.:)

Thanks, do you think a stage one upgrade would solve the condition? I had the word 'problem' instead of condition, but it's really NOT a problem, just not the same as the H and I really LOVE the way the H takes off from a stop.
It seems I just have to take off faster (on the gas more) with the RK.

You know what -- it's almost like on the H, I could let the clutch out at idle and the bike would just roll off and go - still at idle while the RK would die immediately if I did the same thing. The H might even idle a tab lower than the RK in rpms.
Bill

thanks to all responders here. Not sure what to do tho - perhaps a stage one would help matters somewhat. In the meantime, I will just rev it up a little more than the Heritage when taking off.

Bill

thanks to all responders here. Not sure what to do tho - perhaps a stage one would help matters somewhat. In the meantime, I will just rev it up a little more than the Heritage when taking off.

Bill

Stage I and a dyno tune will make a difference. Gotta pay the Harley tax to overcome the EPA.:)

Back