free website stats program road king or street glide which would you buy?? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

road king or street glide which would you buy??

street glide full fairing radio a little less travel in the shocks but more capacity 35lb of air in rk verses 50lb in sg jmo:newsmile040:

New to the forum.........

Looking at the road king and street glide, have a dyna now and want to move up to touring bike. Which bike would be better for 2-up riding or is there a difference, probably would put a detachable tour pak on either bike to take off for solo riding. Opinions would be appreciated................

I had a street glide and sold it to buy the road king. I like being able to remove the windshield for around town. Here is the street glide I sold and the road king I bought.

366387552.jpg

375186415.jpg

I live in So. Calif. and the 09 Road King FLHR was my choice. I like the option of removing the windshield and cruising PCH on warm summer days. I don't think you can beat the sound of an iPod, especially at hwy/fwy speeds. My wife and I do weekenders and the saddlebags with inserts are fine.

I do a lot of both 2 up and 1 up I ride a road glide nowdays.
For two up IMO either bike will need a seat the stock seat on then is not designed for long rides for passanger.
If you ride two most of the time you will want tour pak on just a fact of life IMO.
The RK looks it best bare no pack .
If it were me I would add a couple more to the short list and look real good at cost to finish it for two up.
Example a Eletric Glide classic has enough of the extra and tour pack in standard. Nice two up seat. And if you like you can make tour pack detactable latter one.
By the time you add a tour pack and touring seat to a RK or SG the cost add up fast.
As other will say take your time shop around sit on many demo a few.
there are some great deals on nice used touring bikes right now if you do your home work

I have looked at the EGC, but like the look of the RK and SG and your probably right about the extra $$ for adding accessories, hey but isn't that part of the fun in making it you own??

These were the 2 finalists when I was choosing a bike almost 2 years ago. They're identical as far as frame and engine. Here's my input:

1) If you're mainly going to do local cruising, the RK wins hands down since you can remove the shield and simply look bad to the bone!

2) If you really like tunes, they're standard on the SG although most everyone upgrades the speakers and a lot do the amp too.

3) SG has the whole panel of gauges for you to ooh and aah over, Again, a lot of folks swap the air temp out for an oil temp gauge.

4) IMHO, the tour pak just looks more at home on the back of a SG than on a RK. Something about the saddlebags and fairing I guess.

Bottom line, you can't go wrong with either bike but it's REAL expensive to rush and buy one and then decide you should have gotten the other one. Take your time, really think about what kind of riding you'll do primarily, demo or rent each one for an extended period - at least a full day. Sitting on a bike on the showroom floor and then riding it for 15 minutes isn't the same as spending a day in the saddle.

FLHX, If for no other reason, the stereo. I can't imagine not having a stereo after having one. Also, gauges and fairing. The fairing protects your hands from the cold and I like having a tach and oil pressure gauge.

Back