free website stats program Road Glide Fairing Storage Door Spring | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Road Glide Fairing Storage Door Spring

I've seen on the forums where a wooden clothes pin spring has been used and they reported it was better than stock. Mine haven't broken so I haven't needed to try it out. Bill

I've seen on the forums where a wooden clothes pin spring has been used and they reported it was better than stock.

I tried that yesterday.
The clothes line spring is very close to size.I had to bend the legs to fit in the holes.I could assemble it,but the problem is the spring is very weak and will bend very easy.The cover would not return to the closed position.
Went to two local hardware stores looking for a torsion spring,no luck.
Going to another better hardware store today.

1fltri4me, very good that you got the problem sorted, can you describe the special tool to properly center the spring when installing?

Well the spring kept twisting sideways.So i cut about 3/4" off the shank off a masonary drill which which was 1/4" dia.This would fit in the ID of the spring.I then wrapped electrical tape around one end of the shank so it would stay in the center of the housing.I wrapped just enough tape so it would be slip fit.
I placed the spring in the housing then slipped the pin in to keep it centered.
I had to drill a small hole in one end of the barrels so I could knock out the pin.The two barrels press in from each side which holds the door to the hinge.

I should have taken some pics,might be easier for you to see what the (EDIT) i'm trying to say.

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Back