free website stats program Riding season thoughts..... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Riding season thoughts.....

The riding season in Michigan is too short for me. I try to ride as much as I can from April through October.

Maryland, east of the mountains.
I ride all year. I have good leathers and heated gear. Lowest temp this year was 8 degrees F. I won't do ice/snow. MD uses a lot of salt on the roads but it always seems that within a few days it rains and it knocks it down.
The Chesapeake Bay tempers the weather a bit. Out in western MD where my family lives, they have ice and snow into April. They don't use sand, they use cinders and the roads are heavily coated with them. They don't wash away for the most part. Very dangerous until they clean the roads. Like ball bearings on the roads.

Sometimes I wish to not have to "gear up" to ride in the winter but it isn't so bad. I find summer here more fatiguing. We get many days in the mid to upper 90's with very high humidity. Sometimes it feels like I am driving into a hair dryer.

Get well!

Hopefully you will be back on your bike before long and the weather will smile on you so you can try to make up for the lose time in the saddle.

best of luck in your recouvery! I live in the Pacific north west. I never put the bike in starage, but I don't get to ride much in the winter months ( late October til mid March )
Havn't gone more tha a month without a ride since I got back on the bike in 07!

I'm in VA, 50 miles south of DC. Temps from the teens to the 70's. I didn't put it away for the winter. I was able to ride at least every two weeks. I've heard "if you don't like the weather in Virginia just wait 'til tomorrow"

I'm in VA, 50 miles south of DC. Temps from the teens to the 70's. I didn't put it away for the winter. I was able to ride at least every two weeks. I've heard "if you don't like the weather in Virginia just wait 'til tomorrow"

lol, yeah, I spent some time in VA in the Hampton Roads area (Suffolk, VA) and that's the truth, rain or thunderstorms with no notice. Makes rides interesting but some of my best riding memories are of my time there, especially when I did the "Ride to the Wall."

I feel for you man as I am going through the same thing, about 3 1/2 weeks ago, ribs don't heal that quickly I'm told.
The riding season on the Gulf Coast is pretty much year round, we do have days that are too cold for me or it's raining, but if it's 50 or above, I'm riding...now I wish my bike was back together. Good luck with your recovery!!

In NE it pretty much depends when Old Man Winter wants to hit us...usually bike gets parked from mid-Nov to April. I don't like to hit the roads until a few good April showers to wash away winter's sant/salt.

first thing is i am sure we hope you heal quickly and are doing fine?

for my personal observation, i think many accidents happen with Rider error at the start of the season because, they get that power between their legs and throttle up without doing some basic everyday moves..i wont go into detail but basically taking it slower is the main thing,,get used to your ride, shift weight, make uturns in a parking lot, braking, look for sand on corners where you turn,
As for you and your unfortunate experience, i am not preaching at all,,but what i try to do when i have a bad experience is i take my (little brain) LOL and i make little drawers inside my brain, and put that bad thought into the draw, take a key and lock it away. Keeps many things out of my daily thoughts\. and hopefully wont interfere with my daily riding and keep me in the saddle..good luck and have fun!!:D

Back