free website stats program Riding in the Rain | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Riding in the Rain

Here in GA the weathermen have no idea how to predict the weather, I never knew 20% chance so often turned into 100% chance >_<, so if it happens I ride if its nice out side I ride, my cage is broken so my bike is all I got

Yea and they are calling for 60% in Helen tomorrow. We are planning a trip up there. There's a good ralley in Hiawasse.

Just wondering - how many riders deliberately avoid taking their beloved scoots out in wet weather? Those of us who ride to work won't have much choice.
You hear stories of HD aversion to H2O and you often see adverts claiming "this bike has never been ridden in the rain". Didn't know there were so many HDs in the Atacama Desert :D:D:D.

I generally avoid getting it soaked if I can but I've got a good drier if it's needed.

When I bought my first Harley in 06, I remembered the recommendation to buy a rain suit. The next weekend and the first longer ride I ever went on, I got drowned. It was in the middle of nowhere and by the time I found shelter, I was drenched. Once I stopped, I put on my new rain suit. Took off again and after about a half mile, the dang rain stopped. So, I guess you could say, that changed any notion about riding in the rain. I can be careful and the bike will clean up.

A couple months later I rode over 300 miles on I-75 in the pouring rain on a planned trip to visit a friend. One thing I did notice, was that I slowed down and still kept a good pace, but I had bikes pass me like I wasn't moving. To me they needed their head examined.
:USA

...in October 1980 i bought a moto guzzi lemans brand new going home for Xmas leave i was down on the ice broke the plug cap and plug on left side so had to single cylinder for a good bit to get parts to fix on the way back after Xmas leave hut a snow drift while coming out of a bend at 60 mph drift right across the road right side plug and cap gone (but was carrying a spare).

Went to Belize from April to October fork stanchions were pitied and i had to replace them. Bought a second hand Honda xl 250 (trail bike ) for use on winter roads had fork gaiters drum brakes and was designed for hitting the ground and getting up again older and wiser i use the car (have to in my line of work) bikes are now only for pleasure.

Brian

Good read, have to say that underscores the importance of riding prepared and take each ride as a learning experience to do things better and easier...cages are okay, but bikes ARE for pleasure, not for pretenders or the weak of heart...you have to make an effort and accept the risks and the JOY! :D

Been in the rain many a times never a problem with bike.. only thing that can be a problem is if you have to slow down enough the steam from engine fogs the windscreen over and glasses

Good read, have to say that underscores the importance of riding prepared and take each ride as a learning experience to do things better and easier...cages are okay, but bikes ARE for pleasure, not for pretenders or the weak of heart...you have to make an effort and accept the risks and the JOY! :D

From 75 to 83 my only form of transport was a motorcycle and at that time in the winter clearing snow and ice from the road was not particularly efficient
if any was attempted
i still remember the bakers van with snow chains and that was in the town
had done a deal on a new Honda in Feb 78
woke up in the morning to find 8" snow on the bike luckily the fish lorries had managed to get out and i got in a lorry track in the snow for 45 miles to the city that was a slow tedious and very cold experience on a Honda 250 with girlfriend on pillion
had been a toss up between Honda 400 or triumph bonnie silver jubilee
but girlfriend wanted an engagement ring so had to settle for the Honda
swapped it for a 75 bonnie 6 months later
this old body couldn't stand that level of abuse from the cold that we had that winter

Brian

From 75 to 83 my only form of transport was a motorcycle and at that time in the winter clearing snow and ice from the road was not particularly efficient
if any was attempted
i still remember the bakers van with snow chains and that was in the town
had done a deal on a new Honda in Feb 78
woke up in the morning to find 8" snow on the bike luckily the fish lorries had managed to get out and i got in a lorry track in the snow for 45 miles to the city that was a slow tedious and very cold experience on a Honda 250 with girlfriend on pillion
had been a toss up between Honda 400 or triumph bonnie silver jubilee
but girlfriend wanted an engagement ring so had to settle for the Honda
swapped it for a 75 bonnie 6 months later
this old body couldn't stand that level of abuse from the cold that we had that winter

Brian

It's remarkable Brian how different the climates are between our two parts of Britain - even though, by American travel terms, you're only a wee bit up the Interstate or Highway. You definitely get longer, darker and harder winters than we do in the south. I did a fair bit of riding in the snow and ice this unusual winter just past and it's not something I'd like to be doing a lot of every year. But it's actually good for bringing your riding skills up a notch or two - always find a positive.
Beautiful weather for it now - mostly dry, a bit of sun, not too hot, not too cold. :D. Hope the plans for Deutschland are going well.

the plans for summer trip are all finalised only got the continental breakdown to arrange
the 2 big twins are going really well and i don't seem to have any oil puddles to mop up
was going to get the softail out for a wee while today but started bucketing down and was fairly windy
Dyna passed mot on Monday first time local bike dealer has seen it (30 miles away)
winters here ain't what they used to be if you have a light covering of snow on the roads then all comes to a stop
Ploughs and gritters are out all the time but a snow flake falls and all comes to a stop
last time i had a bike on the snow was about 6 years ago that was the BMW worked well on the snow but it was a 1981 r100rt with full fairing and built in feet warmers don't plan on getting the Harley's on the snow however you never know what will happen

Brian

the plans for summer trip are all finalised only got the continental breakdown to arrange
the 2 big twins are going really well and i don't seem to have any oil puddles to mop up
was going to get the softail out for a wee while today but started bucketing down and was fairly windy
Dyna passed mot on Monday first time local bike dealer has seen it (30 miles away)
winters here ain't what they used to be if you have a light covering of snow on the roads then all comes to a stop
Ploughs and gritters are out all the time but a snow flake falls and all comes to a stop
last time i had a bike on the snow was about 6 years ago that was the BMW worked well on the snow but it was a 1981 r100rt with full fairing and built in feet warmers don't plan on getting the Harley's on the snow however you never know what will happen

Brian

I rhink you're right - horses for courses. I was on a Kawasaki :D. I'm not getting my Sporty near road salt if I can help it. From what I know from two mates locally with big big corrosion and pitting problems - parts of it would disintegrate on the way home if I did! But that's one of the downs compared to the many ups of running a HD and if it bothers you then you're probably better off with something lower maintenance but a lot less interesting.

Just got home,I left the shop and it was sunny,5 miles down the road and the wind came up then the sideways rain,no time for raingear. I road the next 20 miles in a downpour:( Only good thing about it was that it rained lastnight and there was no real oil buildup on the road

Back