free website stats program Riding in the Rain | Harley Davidson Forums

Riding in the Rain

cedarbrook63

Just wondering - how many riders deliberately avoid taking their beloved scoots out in wet weather? Those of us who ride to work won't have much choice.
You hear stories of HD aversion to H2O and you often see adverts claiming "this bike has never been ridden in the rain". Didn't know there were so many HDs in the Atacama Desert :D:D:D.

I generally avoid getting it soaked if I can but I've got a good drier if it's needed.

I ride in the rain often even some snow now and then. I went out Sunday storm chasing on the bike. We got wet .
You are right I have heard HD do not like rain, but I can not say it has ever caused me a problem.
I own them to ride not sit in the garage

I hear ya Smitty but two local guys with HDs have had serious problems with pitting/corrosion due to moisture - one is a ride instructor who rides his EG all weather teaching (salt etc. on the roads in winter) and the other is a guy who's bike has to live outside although under a cover. I think the problem is water or worse salt being in contact over a long time.

Ride in the rain, get home, clear her up and dry her - shouldn't be a problem.

We do not plan to ride in the rain!! but if we have a ride planned and the forecast calls for the possibility of rain we still ride. On our longer trips we plan 10 days out we make our schedule and stick to it rain or shine. There has been days we rode all day in the rain to make our next destination. I would much rather ride with sun shining and 75 degree weather but rain does not keep us from riding. Eventually I will get around to getting the bike washed and waxed and it still looks brand new. I have had to get the power washer out and really give it a good washing and waxing but always looks new afterward.

Back in Feb. there was a thread on rain and bad weather strategies you might find interesting.Check it out

Rain/Thunder/Hail/Tornado Strategies? - Harley Davidson Community

That's a good thread Steve - thanks.
We get a gentler sort of rain usually here in England - the occasional belter but very seldom enough to wash roads or land away. A good point though about oil/diesel coming up to the surface of the asphalt - now that is a nasty:newsmile055:

Just wondering - how many riders deliberately avoid taking their beloved scoots out in wet weather? Those of us who ride to work won't have much choice.
You hear stories of HD aversion to H2O and you often see adverts claiming "this bike has never been ridden in the rain". Didn't know there were so many HDs in the Atacama Desert :D:D:D.

I generally avoid getting it soaked if I can but I've got a good drier if it's needed.

Hey, I thought there was RARELY a day in England that wasn't a "wet one"... :bigsmiley14: or have a garage queen 90% of the time. I used to ride year around, rain or shine...but now I have family priorities that remind me not too...I admire riders in England... :cheers

I try not too, just because I just don't lke getting soaked, and still have not got myself a rainsuit. In general though, I ride it to work and watch the forecast. I take my chances on occassion and have been caught a few times. Today was one of those days when I thought I would be ok, but decided against it. Regretted not taking my bike the whole day and even more on the ride home.

I live and ride in Orygun. If you don't ride in the rain, might as well sell the bike and get a boat. :D
Ugly John

Not a fan of riding in the rain but forecast tomorrow calls for a chance of rain all day (vague, huh?) and I need to bring the scoot in for 1000 mile and dyno + we got a ride on Sunday morning. Can't avoid this one.

Back