free website stats program Riding in the left or right of 'your' lane | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Riding in the left or right of 'your' lane

Most forms of transport pass each other right side to right side and in the past it was the norm for people to walk on the left side of the road/track so that their sword arm was able to pull the sword un hinderd and greet a potential foe sword arm to sword arm
however napoleon emperor of france was left handed and made the people under his control move on the right side so that his sword arm was un hinderd
it is still fairly normal for people to meet right hand to right hand and the action of shaking hands as a greeting (usually the right hand) is to show that you are not ready with a weapon

Brian

Most forms of transport pass each other right side to right side and in the past it was the norm for people to walk on the left side of the road/track so that their sword arm was able to pull the sword un hinderd and greet a potential foe sword arm to sword arm
however napoleon emperor of france was left handed and made the people under his control move on the right side so that his sword arm was un hinderd
it is still fairly normal for people to meet right hand to right hand and the action of shaking hands as a greeting (usually the right hand) is to show that you are not ready with a weapon

Brian

Thanks for the history lesson, I did not know that:s

So Jack do you just do stuff without knowing the reason why
sometimes i wonder about why some things are as they are and inquire about things if it bothers me and end up with a head full of stuff that isnt really important but i just had to know about it

Brian

So Jack do you just do stuff without knowing the reason why
sometimes i wonder about why some things are as they are and inquire about things if it bothers me and end up with a head full of stuff that isnt really important but i just had to know about it

Brian

No, i am a hands on person always asking questions cause and affect is important to me , on the job I need to know so i can give the customer total problem resolution, that way I know I will not have that same issue again, and if I do I will remember hopefully:s

And this place is a great place for picking up information of all kinds i often get answers to questions i have qet to ponder

Brian

...however napoleon emperor of france was left handed and made the people under his control move on the right side so that his sword arm was un hinderd ...

Brian

The Napoleon thing has never been proved factual. It is nothing but legend.
As to why other parts of the world use one side over the other has more to do with the types of equipment they were using. In the US it was based on teamsters' use of large freight wagons pulled by several pairs of horses. The wagons had no driver's seat, so a postilion sat on the left rear horse and held his whip in his right hand. Seated on the left, the driver preferred that other wagons pass him on the left so that he could be sure to keep clear of the wheels of oncoming wagons. He did that by driving on the right side of the road

As for my driving wether I am in the US or Ireland I Always ride behind the driver of the vehicle in front of me that way I can see both on comming traffic and any traffic that is trying to enter from side streets. I never follow the middle of the vehicle as that is where most oil leaks/spills will happen.

It seems now that here we drive on the right side so people have plenty of room to use their right hand to text and diddle with cell phones while they drive! :dknow

Yes, cars will pass in your lane if you're too far right.

There are several reasons I always ride in the left 1/3 of my lane.

I can see around the vehicle in front of me and know what is oncoming.

I am further away from the cars pulling out of driveways and side streets.

The car in front of me can usually see me in 2 mirrors, rearview and sidemirror when at stop lights.

I am closer to the center of the total road which gives me more surface to manuever if necessary.

I often move right when approaching an oncoming semi truck or wide load as to avoid wind blast. These are all observations I have made and feel comfortable with. Also suggested by our MSF instructor.

ALSO, I never move to the right if a car is passing me. I always stay in the left 1/3 of my lane. If a cage sees you move over, some will take this as a sign that you are giving up some of your space and will take it. I make them get completely around me as I would if I was in a car (watching all the while for any dangers ahead and being ready to move if necessary).

I hope this helps.

Back