free website stats program Riding in the left or right of 'your' lane | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Riding in the left or right of 'your' lane

3+for Nakkers, also come from the MSF school of learning and teaching...keep it mind the theory that you maintain separation from hazards through lane position and timing.

And keep an eye out for an escape route always:s

I ran into the same issue where the pavement joined in the left hand part of the lane while in the U.S. I have always travelled in the left hand lane position for lots of reasons. Mostly I'm saying to everyone this is my lane, back off. Had to adjust though cause of the joining line in the pavement and found it frustrating. Just another case of the people in power not caring about the little guy (bikers).

I know a guy back home that lost his wife in a MC accident while he was driving. He was to the left side of his lane on a two way road. There was a semi coming from the other direction and a car was trying to pass it. Since the MC was not to the right side of the road, the cage was looking around for oncoming traffic and since the MC was to the left, they never seen it and pulled out to pass. They were hit head on. He flew over the cage and was seriously hurt but lived, his wife hit the cage and was killed instantly. He says he was in the process of going to the right side to stay away from the semi, but at the same time the cage pulled out. I always ride to the right whenever oncoming traffic is in sight always anticipating a cage pulling out to pass. If you are to the right, you will be more easily seen. I agree to use the entire lane, but when oncoming trafic is invloved, I stay to the right, always.

+1 for Nakkers' post... I try to be in the position that is safest for me, and most visible to on-coming traffic.

+1 for Nakkers' post... I try to be in the position that is safest for me, and most visible to on-coming traffic.

I also LIKE wearing My 40 cal stainless Taurus on my HIP in Full View of the ones that like to tail-gate me.. They DO have a respect for a gun!

Backing off is wise! :D

signed....BUBBIE

I ride left of center also
WAP.gif

Do I have this right? If you ( in Yankee land) ride in the left of your lane, aren't you up close to the white line?
The left lane here is the slow lane, so when I'm not passing another vehicle ( in the passing right lane) I stay in the left of the left lane, away from the white line.
Now I've confused myself! :)

On the freeway I ride in the fast lane mostly and to the right of the lane so cars in the right lane can see me better in their rear and side mirrors...

I ride to the right of center most of the time. When I do ride to the left 2up the wife is always pushing on my left side with her knee when any cars are coming. She is very sensitive to cars crossing the center line and we see it all the time. So to make her comfortable I ride where it gives us a little wiggle room.

Back