free website stats program Riding Hard | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Riding Hard

No tach, so no idea what the RPMs are when I shift, but I think I ride easy most of the time, with the occassional bursts of speed here and there. I do like to go fast though and the bug has gotten me a few times, but typically I try to take it easier. 3 kids and a wife that want to see me come home each night keeps things in perspective.

Well after reading everyone else's replies i must be the big wus here . I just turned 3100 miles on my night train and i've never hit the rev limiter one time . I may have gotten up to 4000-4500 rpms but like most i don't have a tach either so not exactly sure . I would say it's probably a good thing i don't have a tach other wise i'd most likely push it to red line at times .

From what I'm reading, keeping it in the 4500 rpm range is really not too hard on the engine. Generally when I'm in 6th gear I'm at 80 mph at 3000 rpm. I might be babying my ride, but I don't want to wear it out or tear anything up prematurely. I love my ride.:D:D:D

No tach, so no idea what the RPMs are when I shift, but I think I ride easy most of the time, with the occassional bursts of speed here and there. I do like to go fast though and the bug has gotten me a few times, but typically I try to take it easier. 3 kids and a wife that want to see me come home each night keeps things in perspective.

Yes, it IS nice to have a reason to come home. My metrics used to see 11,000 shifts, hard enough to stretch the chain! But ya know? Me and this Harley... we have a good friendship... and I value this bike enough to believe it is only fitting to treat it with respect! Do I run it? Oh yeah, once in a while I let those thumps drive my fanny down the road! Do I need to crank it so hard that I am amazed? No..... No tach here either, but my 96 incher has enough power AND torque that I don't need or want to crank it's tail...:D

Not sure I would call that riding hard.
I often say my TC96 spends most of its time between 2800-3100 rpms.
I seldome hit 4000 in sixth grear because 3000 is 80 mph , but a good roll on up to 4000 now and then feels good. And holding a 3000-4000 range in and out of some good curves in 2,3,4 gear is a rush. And I am darn sure it won't hurt the thing a bit as long As I keep it on the road

Thanks Smitty, that's what I was looking to find out.

If I'm just putting around, 2500-3000rpm shift points on there.
The way my motor is set up, I have a massive torque curve from about 2500 to 5500 RPM, it pulls like no other, I can simply roll hard on the throttle from a roll and pull hard enough my buddies have to down shift.
That being said, my bike does get the occasional flogging, 5500 shifts, it revs out at about 6500. Haven't had it to the track yet, but its looking like it will probably run a quarter in about 11.5 at around 120.

Back