free website stats program Riding Along US/Mex Border? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Riding Along US/Mex Border?

In 2004 we spent the winter in Az. We visited Bisbee, but we stayed in Yuma. Often we would cross into Mexico and you would see border patrol in the hills and on the highway. There was a blimp floating around. There seems to be a lot more border patrol presence now then back then.
kemo

Good advice Smitty. Being a Canadian I don't carry, but I understand that I can take a course and get a carry permit.
kemo

Dont forget about the corrupt Mexican government, hate to see any one do time down there

I rode this route last May with 5 other friends on the way back east. Had no problems, but about every other vehicle we passed was border patrol. They also have check points along the road where you will have to stop and be checked. Nice ride though. As long as you stay on our side of the border, you will be OK. You might consider packing, just in case.

Some of the best roads are in the area and safe, Hwy 94 to campo then head up to Mt Laguna nice time of year. But if you can Ride to the Salton Sea. its Magic. as for the boarder wars Drugs and 911 fact of life now just ride.

Well, I rode the exact route I described last Thursday and had zero problems. I'm glad I somehow neglected to read all these posts about arming myself - sorry, not my style. There was a large Border Patrol presence and one checkpoint but they waved me through without even having to stop. One thing I will say, though. I rode this route at around noon - not sure I'd be comfortable doing it at night - very remote area.

Glad you're back safe... Hope you had a good time. Tell us more... Weather? Sites, ect... Bike ran good??

Glad you're back safe... Hope you had a good time. Tell us more... Weather? Sites, ect... Bike ran good??

Weather - absolutely ideal, but it was San Diego, after all!

Scenery from Mount Laguna was pretty cool. Being a pilot, I enjoyed seeing the radar ball up there that LA Center uses.

Bike ran great. 2011 FLHTK totally stock and it had noticeably more grunt than my Stage I TC96. The range to go function wasn't worth a nickel but that seems to be a common problem on these bikes. Really missed my highway pegs and backrest, though!

After using those fancy FMS (Flight Management Systems) and PMS (Performance Management Systems) on your aircraft you are probably spoiled.
:lolrolling

Have you been in the library reading again, coming up with those big terms:lolrolling

After using those fancy FMS (Flight Management Systems) and PMS (Performance Management Systems) on your aircraft you are probably spoiled.
:lolrolling

Yeah, they're a nice tool but I still keep up with the fuel manually on the long transcon flights. Amazing how far off the gauges and FMS can be after 4 or 5 hours!

Back