free website stats program Rev it up | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rev it up

I guess I am again a newbie! I always put two feet on the ground when I stop. I don't remember being told this was the proper way of handling a bike at a stop in any of the riding classes I have taken. I plan on taking another advanced rider course in May and I will ask about this procedure.

another newbie here as well...am too freakin old to balance the dang thing!...Actually I've always put two feet down when I stop at a light...but here in the Midwest we kinda cheat at Stop at a intersection...when only control is a Stop sign...I kinda don't come to a complete stop...unless of course a cars in the intersection before me.:s

I like my loud pipes, and I'm not ashamed of it! I bought a Harley and I wanted it to sound like a Harley. The other day I was at the dealership and I had a tech take it for a spin to see if he thought it was popping to much. He took off and the sound was wonderful! It was a nice day so a lot of bikes came and went. I was listening to other bikes coming and going from the dealership while I waited outside and I have to say without any hesitation that my bike sounded the best.:breakdance These Sampsons ovals sound so nice! I don't rev it up at stop lights but I love to take off and hear the sound. However, it sounds even better when listening from behind as the bike takes off.

And as far as feet on the ground. I put my left foot on the ground when stopping because my right foot is on the brake. But after I stop, I put my right foot down to help balance the bike especially when I have the wife on board. Maybe after my left leg gets stronger, I will be able to hold the bike up with my left foot, all 800 pounds plus my 250 pounds and my wife's weight (not allowed to say her weight :bigsmiley11:).

One other thing, I try to be respectful with my loud pipes. When I take off from my house I try to minimize the noise for my neighbors.

Today when I was out riding I drove by several Amish horse and carriages, so I squeezed the clutch as I went by them and coasted to minimize the sound of the engine. As I passed they waived and appreciated me not spooking their horses. People should just try to be respectful of others when they have loud pipes.

One other thing, I try to be respectful with my loud pipes. When I take off from my house I try to minimize the noise for my neighbors.

Today when I was out riding I drove by several Amish horse and carriages, so I squeezed the clutch as I went by them and coasted to minimize the sound of the engine. As I passed they waived and appreciated me not spooking their horses. People should just try to be respectful of others when they have loud pipes.

+1

I leave the house at 4:30 AM and I ride the bike gently so as to not make excessive noise as I respect the rest of my neighbors who don't have to be awake early. I also try to keep it quiet around the neighborhood in general but definately make some noise when out on the open road.

As far as putting foot down when stopping. If it's for a stop sign, I can stop and balance most of the time with out putting feet down if quick stop. (20+ years of practice)Longer stops like stop lights, I put left foot down first with right on brake and then vary with left or right or both depending on road surface and conditions.

I guess I am again a newbie! I always put two feet on the ground when I stop. I don't remember being told this was the proper way of handling a bike at a stop in any of the riding classes I have taken. I plan on taking another advanced rider course in May and I will ask about this procedure.

Wow....guess Im a newb too. after 14 motorcycles and 30 yrs of riding, I guess Ill always be newb if one leg at a stop light/sign is the determining factor of the newb/expert factor. Sorry if dont feel like holding up 1000 lbs. of bike with one leg. sheeesh

Back