free website stats program Restoring and Cleaning your chrome | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Restoring and Cleaning your chrome

I usually just use mother's or some cheap polishing compound. I will have to try this and see how it works. Why only the shiny side? if it's a chemical reaction, why would it matter? just curious...

I found this a few years ago by a simple google search. I tried it figuring the chrome would probably need replaced so I had nothing to lose. Amazingly it worked really really well. I don't know exactly why you need the shiny side but I know the dull side doesn't do anything. As far as how long it lasts I've only had to use the vinager trick once and no surface rust or imperfections have returned since. That was almost three years ago.

If I may add something to this, My wife and I discovered last summer that if you make a paste out of baking soda and white vinegar [ not to much vin] though it will bubble all over the place , this with the aluminum foil really does work great. then we also used one of those magic erasers for the fine rust then cleaned all with windex my rims and front fork covers are terrible but it seemed to work so far but we never finished yet. Just thought I would let ya'll know .

I was informed this weekend that using a Magic Eraser will clean chrome like crazy. Not sure about the rusting, but it is supposed to lift boot/shoe prints from exhause even. I have to try it soon, because my ol lady decided she was going to spare me and take my shots over the weekend.

Needless to say I was washing the bike on Sunday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back