free website stats program Restoring and Cleaning your chrome | Harley Davidson Forums

Restoring and Cleaning your chrome

Adamal47

A quick and easy way to restore your chrome is with white vinager and aluminum foil. Simply take the aluminum foil (shiny side only) and dip it into a small bowl of white vinager. Then guntly rub shiney side a foil on chrome piece. This creates a chemical reaction with the chrome. WOW! You will quickly notice any surface rust and pitting magically disappear. After your satisfied with your chrome simply rinse with clean water. I love buying parts off Craigslist for next to nothing because people think it needs rechromed (which is expensive) and cleaning it. I have done this to my entire bike because when I got it it sat in a damp garage for ten years. Previous owner thought chrome was shot. Oops. A word of caution. Unless you really like the smell of vinager I suggest you do this outside or at least in a well ventilated area. I will try to post some before and after pics.
WAP.gif

What a great tip!!! After you have rinsed the viniger off do you use a good chrome polish or just some good wax??

Honestly I just rinse, dry, then ride. Ive never used more than windex on the chrome but that because I'm lazy.
WAP.gif

Please do post some before and after pictures. I just tried this on my rusty shovelhead muffler, and could not tell any difference whatsoever. I used dist. white vinegar and Reynolds wrap, shiney side out. Dip, rub, rinse?

Does the shiny side go toward the chrome part or away from the chrome part?

Ok I couldn't find the pics I wanted so I just cleaned a part of the 20" apes I got for $20.
BEFORE
IMG_4150.jpg

AFTER
IMG_4151.jpg

99% of the "yellow spots" on the clean picture are dust on my camera lens. Chrome is very difficult to photograph. In the center you can see a gouge. This cleaned up alittle but it's kinda deep. Shiney side is toward the chrome. Hope this helps

The pix are great thanks. Looks like there is a marked improvemant in the finish. Thanks

Thanks for the pics. I believe my problem is that I tried it on a fairly trashed rusted muffler expecting a miracle. I knew better, but......:p

Thanks Adamal just picked some chrome parts at a swap meet and tried the viniger tin foil. Wow it worked great saved me some big $$ on new stuff.

Back