free website stats program Replacing Stock Speakers - Beware!! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Replacing Stock Speakers - Beware!!

The J&M's are a big improvement over the stockers.I'm really pleased with them.There's also other choices like Hog Tunes and Infinity.I don't have any experience with them, but I'm sure others do, or at least have an opinion.

So how do the J&M speakers sound? Any improvement?

Haven't ridden yet with them in. They sounded great in the garage! By the way, I also put a square of Dynaxorb on the inside of the fairing behind each speaker to improve the sound quality.

i'm sorry to hear about the screw holes but glad that i'm not the ony one to do it.i took mine apart and they were missing so wanting it to be perfect i go get two more the same size as what was there and now i know why they were missing!!!!!!!!but did go with the painted and now kinda glad it turned out ok!

The J&M's are a big improvement over the stockers.I'm really pleased with them.There's also other choices like Hog Tunes and Infinity.I don't have any experience with them, but I'm sure others do, or at least have an opinion.

And for those really brave, you can go to Walmart and buy a set or two of the Pioneer 5.25" 2-way Speakers, TS-G1342R. You WILL need some spacers!! And, I do cover the dashboard and the rear speakers when I wash the bike because I don't think any of this stuff should be subjected to that much water.

Warning though - these speakers are 4 ohm. So if you are worried about it or you are going to try to power up a Woodstock show, you might want to match the impedance of your radio. Mine is 8 ohm, but I have been enjoying these speakers (4) on my UC for a couple of years now. I rarely get above half volume, and my radio's AVC is set at 2. These are WAY better than the HD installed ones.

See here:

Walmart.com - Help

TQ

A little trick, use a cardboard ring to protect the elastomer or rubberized cone edges of your speakers and spray them with " with Scotchgard" if they are "paper", makes them "weather resistant" without any ill sonic effects. Did them for my old car stereo speakers over the years and speaker cones survived many, many years of use. Matter of fact, the speakers with the cloth rolled edges last much longer than the elastomer or sponge only types...JMHO.

Everybody goofs once in a while. I always like the 15 minute jobs. Usually ends up taking 4 hrs drop a screw or bolt end up looking for it in the bike frame or engine area for 45 minutes. But the best one I did was not taking the spare tire off of the swing arm carrier on the back of my 77 Bronco.
I thought I could just drill a small hole thru the tubing of the frame to mount a rubber bumper on it to help stop a rattle. All was going well untill the bit grabbed and the drill didn't stop until I went through the sidewall of the spare.
Yikes! And I had spectators that makes it worse. I bet no one will ever notice your fairing.

Sorry this happened, but thanks for sharing, I'm in the market for replacement speakers and you have most likely saved me some serious heartache.:(

I replaced my 09 stock speakers with HogTunes, along with the HogTunes Tweeter Pod. Anyway, not sure if I'm using the correct terminology here or not. When you remove the stock speaker it is mounted on a shroud that is between the speaker and the inner fairing. Just remove the stock speaker from this shroud.

The shroud has the black fabric that you see when looking at the speakers while riding. I believe you're supposed to reuse the shrouds which have slots for the speakers. Snap your new speakers into these slots and reinstall your speakers. You will have no problem punching through the inner fairing. If you don't reuse the shroud, then you'd better get some shorter screws.

All of this will make perfect sense, when you pull the speakers.
:USA

my j@m's came with shorter screws for certain hole. must read instructions !! sounds great compared to stock !!

Back