free website stats program Replacing Stock Speakers - Beware!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Replacing Stock Speakers - Beware!!

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
One of my projects today was to finally replace my stock speakers with the J&M ones I bought awhile back. Everything went smoothly until I sat on the bike to test them out before putting the fairing back together. Apparently, the J&M's frame isn't quite as thick as the stock ones so when reinstalling the screws, in an attempt to get everything REAL snug and tight so there would be no speaker rattling, the end of the screws poked through the inner fairing by 1/8 inch or so. Just enough to catch your eye and infuriate me! I'll be able to paint them black and I'll bet not one in a hundred people would notice but I'll ALWAYS know they're there, staring at me, mocking me!

Lesson learned - when swapping any component out from now on I will hold them side by side and compare dimensions - maybe even slip the screw in for a dry run and measure how much protrudes - that sort of thing. Never assume anything!

We have all done something like that,after a while you learn to test fit and watch what you are doing when working opposite of the cosmetic side.I would suggest you remove the screws,put flat wahers on them as spacers,then put a dab of black silicone in the holes.When it cures cut any remaining with a razor blade and finish it with a dab of mat black paint,after you wash your inner a couple of times you won't see it. If you leave them sticking through you will be touching them up every month and they will always irritate you.

We have all done something like that,after a while you learn to test fit and watch what you are doing when working opposite of the cosmetic side.I would suggest you remove the screws,put flat wahers on them as spacers,then put a dab of black silicone in the holes.When it cures cut any remaining with a razor blade and finish it with a dab of mat black paint,after you wash your inner a couple of times you won't see it. If you leave them sticking through you will be touching them up every month and they will always irritate you.

Thanks Steve - great suggestion. It means taking everything apart again but it's obviously the right thing to do.

That's good advice Steve. And I agree, if you take your time and do it right, no one will be the wiser......
Except for us Doc!!!:taunt

Thanks Steve - great suggestion. It means taking everything apart again but it's obviously the right thing to do.

Sounds like a good excuse to get the painted inner to me.The wife cant even argue about it.You upgraded the speekers so she could hear better and look what happend.

That's good advice Steve. And I agree, if you take your time and do it right, no one will be the wiser......
Except for us Doc!!!:taunt

As long as any potential future buyers aren't forum members, i guess I'm OK then!

Sorry Doc. Just couldn't resist. Who better to poke at you when you're down than your buds?
We all know the feeling. Hope that's the worst you ever have happen.

Yep.Had a similar experience putting the J&M's in mine.To make a long story short,I had too much help.I didn't even know there was a spacer!My helper stopped me about a half a thread short of poking a hole through the inner fairing.Looked like a brand new black pencil eraser poking out.After wiping the tears from my eyes and the snot off my lip I ended up gentley pounding the bump down with a punch and sanding it smooth.A little paint on a Q-tip and it is hardly noticable.I work alone now.

Back