free website stats program Replacing A Sportster Clutch Cable | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Replacing A Sportster Clutch Cable

What holds the 3 ball bearing from falling out of place? 2 of the 3 ball bearings fell out when I pulled off my primary cover to drill and tap new threads for a stripped plug. I put them back in place using a small amount of grease to help hold them. It seams to me like they fell out on the first ride. It sounds like they're clanking around in there. What secures them once all back together? Thanks

A dab of grease will hold them in place while reassembling the ramps. Once the parts are in place they fit into the grooves/ramps they ride in when in operation.

76 Sportster 3 ball bearing/clutch help...

I had to remove my primary cover on my 76 Sportster. When I had it off I noticed a ball bearing fell out, then a second. After some research I found out they go in the ramp assembly of the clutch actuator arm. I never remover the clutch cable from either end, I can't be sure if they fell out from me removing cover or if they were already out and just laying inside the case, 1 of the 3 was still in it's correct location. I got it all back together using a small amount of grease to help hold them in place. My fear is I believe they fell out again and I think I heard them clanking around inside there on my first test ride. Can anyone tell me correct proceedure of how to be sure they are in the exact correct location and what keeps them in place with enough pressure so they don't fall out again once I get the cover back on? I don't have a shop manual yet (ya, ya I know, it's on my to-do list!). If you're curious I removed the cover to drill/tap/replace the fluid level bolt. Thanks in advance

You can tell by how the clutch operates if they are in place. If it doesn't operatr properly or smoothly they aren't where they should be.

Back