free website stats program Replacing A Sportster Clutch Cable | Harley Davidson Forums

Replacing A Sportster Clutch Cable

glider

Veteran Member
It may be simple, but it isn't a fast job to do.
Start off by removing the left foot peg and shift lever.
Next, drain the primary.
Then slack off all the pressure on the primary chain adjuster. Remove all the primary cover bolts and pull the cover off. Slack off the tension on the clutch cable where it threads into the case and pull the top end out of the handlebar lever once this is done.
Unhook the lower end of the cable from the actuator arm, being careful not to let any of the 3 balls fall out of the ramp assembly. Remember how this looked!
Unscrew the cable the rest of the way out of the case. When you put it all back together in reverse order, more or less , you'll have to install a new primary cover gasket, adjust the clutch and primary chain, and put fresh fluid in the primary.
Let's not forget to lubricate any cables when they are apart also.
All in all it's not a hard job to do, only takes a bit of time to complete.
You should also have a factory service manual available for the torque on the various bolts also.

Last edited:
Re: Replacing A Clutch Cable

I have a question about the 3 balls in the ramp assembly when replacing the clutch cable.

My HD manual says to place some general purpose grease in the 3 grooves that holds the 3 ball bearings. After disassemly I found traces of grease in the grooves.

I see no mention of this in the Help section.
I dont see the logic in contaminating that expensive transmission fluid.

Is that grease really required ?? :33:

The grease only serves to hold the balls in place while reassembling the ramps. Once you have done one or two of these and are familiar with the way they go in and can do it without dropping the balls out, the grease isn't necessary at all.

Thats great..Thanks

One last question , is it ok to use gasoline to clean out the cover / ramp / ball bearings

Just a big thanks for recommending carb cleaner ..

I first tried gasoline ,paint brush and compressed air . I thought it looked clean, was I wrong..

Carb cleaner found small chunks of black stuff.

Great call

Always trying to be helpful. I go through many cans of brake and carb cleaner in a week.:D

Great for removing oil spots on the concrete too.

Just be careful with the carb cleaner around some plastics.

I just took my primary cover off, '90 1200, and it won't come off until I totally unscrew the centre clutch adjuster screw. Not sure if this changes on later models, as I don't see it mentioned in your explanation, but an uninitiated guy might damage something trying to pull the cover off if he left that screw in place.

Care should be taken when removing anything and not pry things off without the proper service manual available for reference. This is an important tool that I can't emphasize enough that everyone should have.

Back