free website stats program Replaced regulator, but still not charging | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Replaced regulator, but still not charging

Now that is the way it is supposed to go... A FIX and a great read from front to End....

Be nice if all problems worked out so well...

Smart people gave good advice and I Learned a lot by just reading all the post. Glad I didn't swear it was a "bad battery"....

Good work you guys!

bubbie

Great troubleshoot. For future thought, Most of the time the part inside the regulator that goes bad will cause the bike to overcharge. The rectifier is usually fine. I have had stators go bad after the bike heats up the winding expand and either cause an open or a shorted winding.

The tip of checking with the 150 watt lamps is a good tip, digital volt meters wont "load" a circut and will show proper voltage/ccurrent on a circut, you have to make the circut "work" and then check it. Its the AMPS that does the work. I have worked with electronics/electo-mechanical equipment for 40 years, and learned that from and old wrench bender years ago. When you have a problem, find the oldest guy in the shop to ask for help, he has usually already been there at some point.
A good RMS digital volt/amp meter does a better job, but still the old make it work deal is the best. anyone remember to old Growler type test rigs the old wrench benders had in their shop? Old age and cunning beat youth and speed every time......right Glider?

right Glider?
In most cases I have to agree but there is some fresh blood out there that does know what they are doing too IF they get the proper training.

In most cases with the fresh blood, their head gets too big to fit their hat :lolrolling

Been trying to figure out what the picture there was Hoop (I know what it does) . I thought it was a balance scale myself :D

But you certainly can take (3) 150watt outdoor flood lamps and wire 1 across each set of stator pins. Start the bike and check for even glow on all three flood lamps. It will really give you a good indication of having 1 or 2 shorted phases. You can't have a shorted phase and at the same time have equal brightness in all three lamps. There would have to be an imbalance.

Would this test work with a 45 amp 1 phase system?

Absolutely. The only thing is your going to need more than (1) 150 watt load. The best load to use would be something like a couple of 1000 watt/ 120 volt projection bulbs wired in parallel. See the link below. Try the "Tap needle" thing. It should give you some insight on what is going on.

And also the sniff test of primary oil as TQ recommended.

Home Made Tools - Harley Davidson Community

Back