free website stats program removing stuck screws primary side | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

removing stuck screws primary side

no, looks like very fine meatllic dust from years. Don't think the previous owner changed the oil.
I think maybe I need to remove the entire primary cover now and clean out the drilled shavings and get the holes tapped. But wondering how do you remove the clutch cable off.

no, looks like very fine meatllic dust from years. Don't think the previous owner changed the oil.
I think maybe I need to remove the entire primary cover now and clean out the drilled shavings and get the holes tapped. But wondering how do you remove the clutch cable off.

no worries mate your clutch cable is threaded into your transmission cover not your primary cover...just take the socket head bolts out remove the primary cover and tada ur rockin

The clutch release mechanism is situated behind the the derby cover and the derby cover needs to be removed to be able to release the cluch cable from the clutch mechanism
you will not be able to remove the primary covner untill you have removed the clutch release mechanism as it is fitted to the primary and the clutch
once the 4 derby cover screws have had their heads removed the derby cover should just fall off if it does not come off it has been stuck on and will become a whole other mess to remove it without damaging the clutch/clutch release mechanism
i think you will need a service manual to fully understand the relationship of all the components to each other

Brian

You will need to back off the primary chain adjuster before the Primary cover will come off. Look underneath in the middle you will see a lock nut with a threaded screw. Back it off. As a previous poster stated it will all make sense if you have a manual in front of you.

Back