free website stats program removing stuck screws primary side | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

removing stuck screws primary side

And use a #27 Torx, not a #25. The 25 will strip the heads.

ProF,

You HIT the torx right on the head !!:D

This is one of the Biggest mistakes and is easy to do.. WRONG Sized tool...

The smaller torx tool will fit Just Tight Enough to strip out the head and require drilling-off head to fix the problem...

I have NEVER cared for torx headed screws, Even with the right sized tool, I find IF one slip,,,, the tool slips around and it is stripped...

I don't look forward to removing these darned things in the first place but reluctantly i keep many spares just for matching the stock replacement..

signed....BUBBIE

I like a bit of antisieze on the threads and under the head of the new bolts. Not only does it fill in the threads next time they will come out a lot easier give it a try:s

I agree with the suggestion to replace them with socket head cap screws. Be careful when you drill them out that you don't go to far. You want to leave as much of the stud as possible. Don't ask me how I know.

I like a bit of antisieze on the threads and under the head of the new bolts. Not only does it fill in the threads next time they will come out a lot easier give it a try:s

anti seize with allen cap bolts, haven't had another problem here either.

I ran into the same problem. The #27 Torx is definitely the way to go, as is the impact driver. I took a small ball peen hammer and gently tapped the head of the screw to give the torx a little more bite, and then used the impact driver making certain that it was centered. Took a few whacks, but it freed them up nicely...Good luck.

As most have said, heat, MANUAL impact driver, tight fitting bits (buy new if you question your set), tap head with hammer and driver bit installed, and final resort is the drill out. But most of all replace ALL the fasteners with stainless ones (preferred) or the chrome ones...using ONLY a sealer and minimal torque value recommended in the service manual. :s

ok, finnally got around to this task but think I might of missed something and screwed things up. Drilled the screws on my derby cover or clutch cover top sides then the one on the bottom. This one on the bottom went clear through and oil started pouring out. No sure where the rest of the screw went but it goes straight through. The cover wont come off to see what happened. How do you take the cover off? Do I need to somehow remove the clutch cable? I also drilled the stripped allen screws on the inspection cover but it seems to be drilling too deep. I am using a 1/4 " bit. Unscrewing the drain plug and also noticed a lot of crud on the tip of the bolt don't think the previous owner had changed the primary oil.

Once the screws are out you should be able to remove the derby cover perhaps the previous owner has stuck the cover on with some sort of sealant as from what you have said the lower screw was not correct but in all there should be 4 screws holding the cover on

Brian

1/4 inch bit might be cutting it a touch close. Does the crud on the end of the drainplug look like fresh filings? Hopefully ya don't have to tap new thread.

Back