free website stats program Removing right front rotor | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Removing right front rotor

This is somthing you dont want to do, you will be setting your self up to lose control over your bike very easly when braking , most experts agree that 70% of your braking is done on your front wheel , and 30 % on rear brakes, when you brake you are transfering most of the bikes weight toward the front of the motorcycle hence needing enough brake to equalize the transfer of weight, it is more likly that if you remove one of your front calipers , you will be putting yourself in a position to use to much back brake and setting yourself up for fishtailing because of the weight transfer you will find your rear brakes locking up often and throwing your bike in to fishtailing conditions.

You can remove one of your front discs and terminate the spare hydraulic line,but as your master cylinder 'piston-to-bore' ratio has been calculated for twin discs,you will find a corresponding increase in lever pressure when you apply the front brake.Also,your brake 'feel' will decrease and your newly single front disc will have a 'wooden-ness' about it.

If you must go that route,buy an entire system that WAS designed as a single setup.

I remember those drum brakes, barely better than dragging your feet to stop.

Ah, Fred Flintstone footbrakes were very effective...on a flat track, not on a street bike. Always been a true believer in function over form...but owning a Harley does strange things to people... When a new vehicle is invented, the first thing asked is how fast will it go...THEN comes the question about stopping the thing, and bending it into a corner. :devil Gotcha Hobbit and Sleddog!

The bling comes later...:bigsmiley24: usually designed on cocktail napkin or in a hospital bed in traction...:lolrolling

I would rather live to ride thank you very much! :small3d004:

A friend took his right rotor off of his bike for a while, and he regretted it, he said his stopping power on the front end decreased to much for his liking. So back on they went, especially the way people drive today, on the phone and texting, if I need to stop I want to stop.

That's what I was looking for, someone who had actually removed it. I work with a guy who did and said it made no difference but that just didn't sound right to me.

I had to nose-dive "The King" yesterday. The driver finally saw me and stopped pulling out at the last minute.

I can say from experience that sliding sideways trying to stop is very exciting. It's the kind of excitement I can do without, however.

Thanks, Drumrguy!

Back