free website stats program Removing Rear Wheel | Harley Davidson Forums

Removing Rear Wheel

glider.

BOT Machine
Removing A Rear Wheel

Here's a guide to removing a rear wheel to replace a tire that would be on a bagger and some other models. The newer models (07 up) have a cam type rear axle adjuster that would differ in setup/adjustment after the wheel is replaced.
A service manual should be on hand for any additional information on removing a wheel as well as the torque values for the various bolts.

Put the bike on a lift but only lift it enough to steady it.
Loosen the adjusters about 3-4 full turns evenly on both sides so the alignment stays fairly straight.
Remove the right muffler so you can get the axle out or disconnect the shocks so the swing arm drops down to remove the axle.

Remove the cotter pin in the castellated nut, break the nut loose and remove it.
Slide the axle out now. Sometimes it takes a bit of coaxing, don't damage the threads. Once the axle is out, jack the lift up a bit and guide the wheel out after removing the belt off the rear pulley.

After the tire is replaced, reverse this procedure and carefully guide the wheel between the brake pads, it's a fairly close fit here so try to get the tire as straight as possible. You may have to pry the pads apart a bit here.
Hang the belt over the pulley and guide the wheel up and into place by lowering the lift very slowly to align the swing arm adjusters with the wheel so the axle can be slid through. It's easier with two people here.

Slide the axle back in after applying some never seize to it and replace the nut and torque it down after you readjust the belt tensioners the same amount that you loosened them up in the beginning. Check the tension out with a gauge now before locking things up.
Install new cotter key and reinstall the muffler/shock bolts depending on which one you removed.

Hello everyone!, It looks like from what I have scanned from these threads(posts), I have to remove the rear wheel on my bagger to change its rear brake pads. If this is the case, how far up should I expect to raise the back of bike to remove wheel? I have fabbed a front wheel cradle which keeps the bike level and straight while perched for normal maint., but do wonder about any insites for this endever. I feel almost like a "HO" asking these ?'s because I've used the knowledge that is flowing from this forum to do so much that would have cost me mucho $'s otherwise and have not reciprocated for others! I feel that maybe there should be an appreciation fund set up for the extraordinary input provided by the members of this site(that tirelessly render their professional opinions)(we all know who ya'll are) without any expectations of gratuity. Thank You one and all!!

Glad to help you out!
Do you have the MOCO Service Manual?
Only drop one pad at a time to save wrestling with the spring and pulling the wheel. You pull the pins halfway, pry the piston on the inner pad, drop the inner pad and replace it. Apply brake pressure to press the new pad against the rotor and hold the clip in place. Now do the outer the same way, but pull the pins all the way out and replace the outer pad. Now slide the pins back in, which should line up since the inner pad is holding it in place.
If you dropped both pads at once, i would recommend using the outer pad as described above and pushing it in place and using a #1 philips screwdriver to align the spring hole through the outer pad. Once you have that done, see if the other hole is aligned, too. if so, then you can press the brake pedal to hold them in place, remove philips and install pins. If not, then use another phillps to do the same on the second hole. After you get the holes aligned, press the pedal to hold them in place so you can remove the screwdrivers one at a time to replace the pins. Pressing against that anti-rattle spring is a pain.

To make life a bit easier, you can loosen the bleeder screw and wrap a rag around it to catch any brake fluid so you can compress the pads a bit easier. Makes pad removal easier. If you just loosen it enough to compress the pads and tighten it again before releasing the pressure on the pads, you shouldn't need to bleed the brakes much if any after you are done.

Don't forget you are going to need the brake tools.... a 1/4" 12 point socket and a 10mm 12 point socket.

Once again, Thank you Mr. Data.----I have the Clymer manual(which I distrust after it gave bogus info on how to retrieve trouble codes and that you would have to go to a stealer to clear same). Is the MoCo manual better? It acctually looks the same.(Am I right in assuming that MoCo means HD motor company?)--Anyway, I'll take a print-out of your instructions and have a sit down study at the South end of no-go Sow!

Yes the MOCO is Harley Davidson manual. They have the best coverage and better explanations then the others.

On some pad manufacturers it does. There's a primary and a secondary pad, one being a different composition.

Hello everyone!, It looks like from what I have scanned from these threads(posts), I have to remove the rear wheel on my bagger to change its rear brake pads. If this is the case, how far up should I expect to raise the back of bike to remove wheel? I have fabbed a front wheel cradle which keeps the bike level and straight while perched for normal maint., but do wonder about any insites for this endever. I feel almost like a "HO" asking these ?'s because I've used the knowledge that is flowing from this forum to do so much that would have cost me mucho $'s otherwise and have not reciprocated for others! I feel that maybe there should be an appreciation fund set up for the extraordinary input provided by the members of this site(that tirelessly render their professional opinions)(we all know who ya'll are) without any expectations of gratuity. Thank You one and all!!

Very good instructions, I used them with no problems.

You do not have to remove the rear wheel to change brake pads on the rear, a little tricky but can be done easy enough
kemo

You talk about a gauge for the tention of the belt. What is that? I am very new to HD. But I do want to make sure I do it right. I am mechanically inclined but never worked on bikes and would like to take back tire off so I can have the tire changed. Thanks again.

2007 roadking classic

Back