free website stats program Redline Shockproof vs Spectro 6 speed transmission oil | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Redline Shockproof vs Spectro 6 speed transmission oil

I think that I am going to go with the Spectro 6 speed transmission oil, Spectro Primary oil, and M1 20W50 engine oil. The original owner of the bike switched to Syn 3 at 1000 miles and I purchased the bike with 6400 miles on it. I have now have about 7500 miles and I thought that I would go ahead and change all of the fluids. If I am going to notice a difference with the Spectro in the transmission, will it be noticeable right away or will it take a while? Thanks.

It will be noticeable as soon as you get that Venezuelan stuff out and right as you pour it out of the bottle and into the funnel. Beautiful cherry red color like Big Red soda only thicker like pancake syrup.

As soon as you start running around on the bike and the gear lube gets around to all the metal surfaces that are in contact with each other, it will be an even more obvious difference!! That won't take more than a mile or so down the road if that. After the next change or two it will be even better.

TQ

Spectro 6 speed is the first choice. They actually made it specifically for this transmission application. This stuff works great.

All I run is Spectro. If I didn't run Spectro it would be Mobile 1. I order Spectro from their web site and it is delivered almost the next day. The bike used to smoke a little . After two oil changes I don't see anymore smoke . Maybe it's just a coincidence

I have run Redline products for many years... I have had such good results using them I Don't try others.

The Redline products and its Shockproof Heavy is and will always be used in my bikes..

I have Never had any metal on the magnetic drain plug while using Shockproof Redline in my trannys...

""Never Ever"" Gone THOUSANDS of miles on stock 5 speeds and converted to a 6 speed that was said to NOT be the best gear-set. EVEN on that tranny conversion i "Never Ever" had metal or fuzz on the magnet... That says it all for me.. Besides NO whine and smooth shifting and protection up to HIGH TEMPS> 75W250...

If I wanted to switch,,,I would Only try Spectro: because of the good reports by other members here on HDT.com...

I have found Redline to be easily available at a local parts store, Car Quest in Auburn Wa. and when elsewhere (Az.)I order by the case off the net. (compare prices as some are Better than others)

signed....BUBBIE

Same here,I run Red Line,both thru preference,and availability,not neccessarily in that order.

I went ahead and changed to the Spectro platinum 6 speed in the transmission and put about 300 miles on the bike since. I can definitely tell the difference between the syn3 and the Spectro. I am glad that I made the switch. Now I will just have to decide if I am going to try the Redline next time. Thanks for the help.

I was using Redline heavy but like Smitty said, it seems a little too thick when cold. And in CA cold is a relative term. Also, when it gets really hot and I'm in the twisties, it seems to thin out and I get a lot of clunking when shifting. My dealer carries Amsoil Severe gear and I switched to that at the last oil change. I really like the Amsoil Severe gear. No clunking at any temperature. I switched to Amsoil on my ultra too. It took me hours to get the Red line out of the trans and I opened the plug after a hard ride when the plug was way too hot to touch. So, I agree with the comments that redline is sticky. Just like Glider used to say, it stayed in my funnel until I wiped it out. I also didn't care for the hard (pungent) odor that the redline emits from the vent when hot.

I think as long as you use any premium grade gear oil (except the HD stuff), you will be satisfied. I wanted to try Spectro but had a hard time finding it here out west. The Spectro dealers that sell engine oil by the quart wanted me to buy an entire case. Like the green banana joke, I'm not sure I could use that much oil in a lifetime...

I run Spectro and added the I.D.S. to mine and I still have way more 5th gear noise than I'd like.Next trans. change will be Redline.

Back