free website stats program Redline Shockproof vs Spectro 6 speed transmission oil | Harley Davidson Forums

Redline Shockproof vs Spectro 6 speed transmission oil

I have a 2007 Heritage Softail Classic and I am getting ready to change the transmission fluid. I have read many of the discussions on the different transmission gear oils but I wanted to see what people thought about the Spectro 6 speed transmission fluid vs the Redline Heavy Shockproof? Will riding in cold weather affect a decision? Thanks.

I have a 2007 Heritage Softail Classic and I am getting ready to change the transmission fluid. I have read many of the discussions on the different transmission gear oils but I wanted to see what people thought about the Spectro 6 speed transmission fluid vs the Redline Heavy Shockproof? Will riding in cold weather affect a decision? Thanks.

check the self help section read the poll numbers and see what other members have said

Last edited by a moderator:
ksheritage; I can only speak for Spectro 6-speed platinum & it definitely made a difference w/my tranny (no more whine). Depends how cold you're planning to ride, but probably not sub-zero so you should be good to go. Cold temps would affect bikes just like they would cars...

ksheritage, welcome the the family.

I too have a 2007 FLSTC. Mobile 1 v-twin 20/50 in the engine and Mobile 1 75/90 gear oil in the transmission. Going 25,000 miles strong with nothing other than basic service.

I run Spectro with no problem in the extreme seasons here in PA. High priced but well worth the peace of mind, feel and lack of sound.

From someone that has logged a few miles with both in a 5 and 6 speed.
Both are great both work very well in a 5 or 6 speed HD.
Both may be considered over kill in a 5 speed , better over than under IMO
One draw back to Redline shock proof that for me made Spectro the one to use.
I live in WI and ride in what someone would call very cold weather. Redline is Heavy very heavy it takes it awhile to warm up and flow freely in that COLD.
If I lived in a place were this was not an issue I would still be running redline.
Also Spector has done a fine job protecting my rides in the heat of the summer.

And Smitty knows his snow when he gets that winter itch...see post #2 below...

http://www.hdtimeline.com/touring_models/23365-cold_whether_riding.html

I think that I am going to go with the Spectro 6 speed transmission oil, Spectro Primary oil, and M1 20W50 engine oil. The original owner of the bike switched to Syn 3 at 1000 miles and I purchased the bike with 6400 miles on it. I have now have about 7500 miles and I thought that I would go ahead and change all of the fluids. If I am going to notice a difference with the Spectro in the transmission, will it be noticeable right away or will it take a while? Thanks.

Back