free website stats program Rear wheel on Road King Classic | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear wheel on Road King Classic

My '09 RKC is my first bagger. After cutting the back of my hand on the rear brake rotor for the third time I must be missing something. What is the trick to ceaning this wheel?

I pull the baggs off and don't have any problems on my 07. You have a wider rear by a few mm, but it shouldn't that much harder to get to the wheel.

There are plenty of wheel cleaning nylon brushes on the market that will keep your hands further away and get the cleaning done.

I kept getting cuts on my fingers after washing my '09 FLHR that I couldn't figure out what was doing the cutting.

Did a little 380 mile ride yesterday out to east Texas and washed her off today to get all the dang bugs and dust off.

While I was wiping down my back wheel, I noticed that the inside of the rear drive sprocket is as sharp as a razor. Especially tough on hands that have been wet from the washing of the bike. (Oh, and blood is caustic, and will etch metal if left on too long :) )

Might want to watch out for that little area too, while you're cleaning up your ride.

If it were my bike cutting my hands, I would put it on the lift and start it up and use some fine emery paper or wet or dry sandpaper #400 and just hold it against the sharp edge to take the "bite" out of it. It will not hurt anything but be much easier on your hands in the future.

Care must be taken with your hands in there and the wheel turning under power. Maybe wrap the sandpaper around a paint stirrer for safety sake and just hold it against the sharp corner. It will actually polish the edge and wouldn't be noticable after you are finished.

If it were my bike cutting my hands, I would put it on the lift and start it up and use some fine emery paper or wet or dry sandpaper #400 and just hold it against the sharp edge to take the "bite" out of it. It will not hurt anything but be much easier on your hands in the future.

Care must be taken with your hands in there and the wheel turning under power. Maybe wrap the sandpaper around a paint stirrer for safety sake and just hold it against the sharp corner. It will actually polish the edge and wouldn't be noticable after you are finished.

I was able to hone the edge down with a fine dremel stone. I'm way too much of a clutz to try your idea. I can just see myself walking into the house and my wife yelling at me becuae I need her to help dig my missing finger out of the bike.

Back