free website stats program rear tire patch | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

rear tire patch

Let me put my .02 cents in, in April me and my wife were old my 1996 EG, left a parking lot of a bar, we were on a benefit ride, NO HELMETS, only going about 20 mph and my back tire blew, must have ran something over. Scared the living daylights out of us both, so I will never risk a tire patch or something like that. I would rather spend a couple hundred on a tire than be seriously injured, we were lucky, we did not go down.

I grew up in my father's automotive shop. To him a tire plug was a temp fix and he would not plug a tire if there was anyway to get out of it; he always said you made a small hole bigger and did more damage by running a plug rasp through the cords. We dismounted it, cleaned the inside, scruffed the area, and hot patched it. After you patched it, you blew it out with air, then wiped the inside with a damp cloth and then ran your hand inside. If you didn't cut or nick your hand or felt any chunks the tube was replaced or it was put back on the rim tubeless. If it was a tubed tire, you still hot patched the tire before you put the tube back in so the tube didn't get pinched in the hole or cut on a broken cord. Patching the tire was not an addtional cost; he considered it good customer service. To this day I do not plug a tire or let anyone else plug one of mine.

The cost of the tire and the mount and balance is cheap insurance. Personally speaking I had the same problem this summer and had only about
1k on the tire, a Metzeler 880, and I picked up screw somewhere. I replaced it and went back to Dunlop, it was a little cheaper. The MoCo doesn't recommend any type of repair to a tubless tire, only to limp home so to speak.

Worked in the automotive side of the house and even then considered tire patch (inside repair) and tire plugs as temporary measure...driven by financial and "get 'er back on the road 'til you get home." mentality. As a motorcycle tire is a more critical element of the rider, machine and road interface...would not ride the bike for extended time with either...especially if riding two up...do you really want to be responsible for such a decision solely without the passenger's input. Not worth the risk verses financial side of the occasion...JMHO.

Strongly agree with NewHD 74 Fan, We patch plug car tires in the Auto Industry, I dont agree with this most of the time , and never on a bike JMO

It probably isnt safe as a new tire but Id do it, after all whats safe about riding a motorcycle in the first place?

I think that I would be scared to patch a tire on a bike for fear that it would give out. I waited 19 years to get another bike and wouldn't want o risk it. IMO.

I don't think automotive tires can be patched on the side wall, that's basicly what would be done to a motorcycle tire because of the design of them and the dynamic loading on the tire.

Auto motive tires cannot and should not be repaired with sidewall damage

Back