free website stats program rear tire patch | Harley Davidson Forums

rear tire patch

ccraig

So I find a furniture staple in my rear tire (with only 1700 miles on it) last night. (2009 Ultra) I'm thinking about patching the small hole from the inside and running a tube in it for the rest of it's life. Comments?
Craig

So I find a furniture staple in my rear tire (with only 1700 miles on it) last night. (2009 Ultra) I'm thinking about patching the small hole from the inside and running a tube in it for the rest of it's life. Comments?
Craig

are you sure you can tube the ultra? go ahead and patch it or replace ( depends on your CHOICE and finances!!!)

Craig

Craig,

If you are gonna run a tube, it will probably be OK. I have done that myself in the past. But make sure that the tire is completely clean inside. In fact ask the tire changer to let you check the inside before they mount the top bead. Anything trapped between the tire and tube will wear on the tube with potential problems.

TQ

if you are gonna run a tube, you dont have to patch the tire....but there are some plugs that work awesome, i have actually used them on my race bikes up to bout 160mph it look like a tube patch with a plug in the middle of it, but both work just fine.

A lot of us are going to disagree about the patch or the tube but personnelly I would use a plug patch, from the inside. The plug patch has a patch and a long plug with a needle to pull it through the tire, but like someone else said if you have the tire wheel warranty go for that.
kemo

gotta ? and I don't mean to hijack this !!!! -

BUT -to all that is putting the plug in the tire , how long do you plan on running that tire with the plug in it ???? Personally - a plug is a TEMPORARY fix no matter what kind you use!!! start with a staple hole - then you have to clean , ream it out(make the hole even bigger!!!) , and put the patch on/ thru that hole. rollin 70 miles an hour down the freeway by yourself or 55 with a significant other on back - BOOM - tire comes apart cause of that little staple hole!!!!

gotta ? and I don't mean to hijack this !!!! -

BUT -to all that is putting the plug in the tire , how long do you plan on running that tire with the plug in it ???? Personally - a plug is a TEMPORARY fix no matter what kind you use!!! start with a staple hole - then you have to clean , ream it out(make the hole even bigger!!!) , and put the patch on/ thru that hole. rollin 70 miles an hour down the freeway by yourself or 55 with a significant other on back - BOOM - tire comes apart cause of that little staple hole!!!!

I guess everyone has to go with what they believe, but I for one, will not patch a tire unless it's just to get it home. I mount my own tires, so I don't have that cost, just the price of the tire. I don't think I could enjoy my ride with a patched tire. At 61, it hurts too much to go down.:newsmile011:

Hi,
Thanks for the responses. I've decided not to temp fate and replace the tire. Now these warrenty comments have got my attention. I can't find the warrenty paperwork on my tire, so is there some kind of road hazard clause on a stock 2009, 4 months old with less than 2000 miles? Thanks in advance.
Craig

Back