free website stats program Rear tire Install question | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear tire Install question

R.Lewis,it was a D402 Dunlop with the wide white wall. Really stiff sidewall compared to a D402 tubeless blackwall.

Ask around not only the HD dealer, but local Metric dealers and servicers...one nearby will install and balance free IF you buy the tire from them and carry in the worn tire and wheel. Last pair of tires I bought were thru Motorcycle Warehouse (I looked up the best price for the tires $105.00 in Motorcyclist magazine...(I knew the metric dealer uses them for tires having gone in several times and seen their Parts manuals open to their catalog. Ordered it (prepaid) Cost me about $120 out the door when I came and left after about an hour. If you change out the tire yourself and balance it you would save may $15...not worth the down time and trouble doing it ALL yourself.

I have paid $25.00-$35.00 bucks to have tires mounted & balanced at some of the smaller Bike shops around...:) I figured it was a fair price :D

I have done mine by hand. Was it easy, no. Would I do it again, probably. I broke the bead with a large vise worked great. Be very careful with the rotor while using the irons and get rim protectors.

Thought about going with the harbor freight motorcycle tire changer. There are many posts about using it and mods to it.

Bottom line; probably easier to take the tire and rim into an indie and have them mount and balance.

Back