free website stats program Rear tire Install question | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear tire Install question

ol55forever

OK, I'm needing a new rear tire and was wondering whether to buy a tire myself and self install or have someone else mount it? I know that I would have to have someone else balance it. About how much could I save? Thanks:small3d007:

Balancing the tire is easier then installing the tire. Slip the axle through the hub and support the assembly. Apply weights as required.

Not knowing your ability to mount a tire, it can be a job with some tires and you could damage the tire doing it. If you aren't sure about it I would have someone that is do the job.

I'm very confident in changing the tire myself it's more of the balancing that I was questioning. A friend says that he would pay the 20 bucks or so to have someone else do it. But he's kinda lazy and I'm stingy. If you know what I mean.:)

OK, I'm needing a new rear tire and was wondering whether to buy a tire myself and self install or have someone else mount it? I know that I would have to have someone else balance it. About how much could I save? Thanks:small3d007:

That Depends. If you are as mechanically inclined as my neighbor, I would say NO, don't attempt it.

But how much $ you would save is a Very Good question. Around here they charge 1/2 hour labor if you take the rim off the bike and bring it to them. So I would guess maybe $45..?? Bringing in the entire bike, my guess 1 hour labor?
Sound about right?

Hoop!

We change our own tubeless tires.Make sure to line up the dot on the sidewall next to the valve stem and most of the time, the wheel is good as far as balancing. But, always check to be sure. Tube tires and especially the wide white tires are much more challenging.

If you're talking about your '05 RK with White walls, you should replace the inner tube and rim band too, also check the spokes and true the rim if it needs it. If it's an older bike before sealed wheel bearings, inspect, repack or replace them.

We change our own tubeless tires.Make sure to line up the dot on the sidewall next to the valve stem and most of the time, the wheel is good as far as balancing. But, always check to be sure. Tube tires and especially the wide white tires are much more challenging.

What do you use to break the bead. The C-Clamp trick or a large throat Bench vice?
I have never done it but I want to do it myself when the time comes. I do have several nice tire spoons and a Deep throat Bench vice along with some home made rim protectors. I don't have spoke wheels. But everyone I speak to says bring it in & I don't want to.....
If I mess it up, so what. Live & learn.

Hoop!

I am having a rear tire mounted on the rim and balanced for $35.00. I will be removing and re-installing the wheel myself. $70.00 if Harley does the whole job.

Back