free website stats program Rear shocks | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear shocks

Yea, they must have changed rear shocks from the 08 to your '10 model. My book calls for 10psi at my 185 weight. I run the 10psi and no problems with bottoming out. I've only ridden solo up to this point, no riders however.

I ran progressives springs front/back on my prior metric cruiser - good shocks.

I am going to try tomorrow to run 15 LBS then go up 2 or 3 LBS and see if I can find a smooth ride. They did make a frame change in 09 from the 08.
We will see what happens tomorrow.

I agree.

My Honda VTX had a smoother ride than my SG. That's just wrong for the money we pay for these bikes. Air ride is sexy and all...just too bad it's not as functional as it sounds. I'm sick and tired of "playing" with the air pressure so I can find a smooth ride. It ain't gonna happen. Air up...air down...tires up...tires down...blah blah blah.

I will be puting Progressives on my bike also.

This has been about the only complaint I have had so far. That's not too bad I suppose. I know lots of you love the air ride. You can have it.

I agree.

My Honda VTX had a smoother ride than my SG. That's just wrong for the money we pay for these bikes. Air ride is sexy and all...just too bad it's not as functional as it sounds. I'm sick and tired of "playing" with the air pressure so I can find a smooth ride. It ain't gonna happen. Air up...air down...tires up...tires down...blah blah blah.

I will be puting Progressives on my bike also.

This has been about the only complaint I have had so far. That's not too bad I suppose. I know lots of you love the air ride. You can have it.

I agree Harley suspension is junk,mine rides like a dump truck,I'll be switching to progressive as soon as possible.

Well I see that I'm not the only one that thinks the shocks are junk. Looks like progressive suspension is on my list of things to buy. Maybe they will be here during bikefest this year in Las Vegas Nv. I might beable to get a deal. :D

The air shocks HD has been putting on these bikes has been junk for the last 10yrs...I personally think these shocks had more to do with the so called "wobble" or "rear steer" complaints guys had on the old style frame than the frame it self...Combine these shocks with the Dunlop 402s,407,408 junk tires Harley uses and you end up with one rough riding,poor handling bike...I put a set of Progressive 12 1/2in 440s on a few years ago and are very happy with them...the ride difference was night and day...the biggest thing I noticed was just how much it changed the handling of the bike in corners,I never really felt the bike was planted in hard corners with the air shocks but with the Progressives the bike feels like its on a rail at all times.

I am going to try tomorrow to run 15 LBS then go up 2 or 3 LBS and see if I can find a smooth ride. They did make a frame change in 09 from the 08.
We will see what happens tomorrow.

I'm lucky to have a small piece of two lane, close to my house, that gives me several style of bumpy-rolling conditions that usually most have to go miles to have..
Nice in that I can go over the same spots and FEEL the air changes I made or needed.
I'd better Not say anything GOOD about that stretch or they will re-work it.

The Right Pump is a necessity, I tried it with a cheapE and found that the HD pump was easy-safest for me.

I think the frames on the 09 thru 2011 big bikes are the same, Just different parts on the same frame and tires to make them their own model.

My 09FLHR does good with the air ride but the progressives sure look appealing IF i were to replace them.(thanks Iceman24 for the link info.)

signed....BUBBIE

The air shocks HD has been putting on these bikes has been junk for the last 10yrs...I personally think these shocks had more to do with the so called "wobble" or "rear steer" complaints guys had on the old style frame than the frame it self...Combine these shocks with the Dunlop 402s,407,408 junk tires Harley uses and you end up with one rough riding,poor handling bike...I put a set of Progressive 12 1/2in 440s on a few years ago and are very happy with them...the ride difference was night and day...the biggest thing I noticed was just how much it changed the handling of the bike in corners,I never really felt the bike was planted in hard corners with the air shocks but with the Progressives the bike feels like its on a rail at all times.

I've never found a problem with any of the Dunlop 402's I've mounted (3 sets now) on my wife's 06 Deluxe or the stock original rear Dunlop 407 on my 09 Streetglide as it now has over 17k and looks to get another 2k easily.
:33:

Back