free website stats program rear ended | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

rear ended

My suggestion is forget about looking or wondering what you need to fix, Take it to a qualified repair shop and make sure they go over it as if it was their ride. Most good shops won't miss a thing Good luck and I'm glad your ok!

Been there done that! Got my bike back less than a couple of weeks ago. Painted parts take at least 28 days. Take your biker to the dealer and tell the service Mgr to go over the bike in great detail. Take pictures. I found that even the dealer missed a few things that I had to point out. Make sure that the estimate that the dealers gives you is the same as the Insrance Co. If it's close you are good. If it is way off then you have a fight on your hands. Good luck. BTW. glad that you are OK.

While at a redlight this weekend, I was rear ended. damage that I could see was to tailpipes,fender,saddlebag and rails,brakelight assembly and possibly crashbar. I am wondering if I should be aware of any other damage that I may not be able to see, that can be caused by being hit from the rear. I was told that if there is damage to one tailpipe then they both would have to be replace. Would like to know as much as possible before the adjuster comes out to look at it. Any advise would be heplful, Thanks.

If you have damage to the front crash bar, look carefully at the top center mounting tab where it bolts to the frame. Often it will rip the frame at the mounting point. Some shops will weld it (not many), others call for replacing the frame which is a HUGE added expense.
Glad you were not seriously hurt.

I was told that by a friend who has been riding for years, but not by a mechanic. I normally do check my mirrows while slowing or stopping, but with the other traffic around I wasnt able to check like i should. I also only want to replace what is needed, just want the bike to be in the same condition as it was before the accident. The cause of my accident was the driver stated he didnt noticed I was stopped until it was to late, which he stated later that day when he was located by the police.

the brake light worked fine before the accident, only afterwards did the pedal stopped working.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told that by a friend who has been riding for years, but not by a mechanic. I normally do check my mirrows while slowing or stopping, but with the other traffic around I wasnt able to check like i should. I also only want to replace what is needed, just want the bike to be in the same condition as it was before the accident. The cause of my accident was the driver stated he didnt noticed I was stopped until it was to late, which he stated later that day when he was located by the police.

What was his excuse for leaving the scene of an accident??? Did they arrest him for hit & run, like they should??? He should be shot on the spot. No excuse for hitting someone and then fleeing like a coward. Glad you seem to be unharmed though. Good luck with the bike repairs and dealing with insurance companies.

his reason was, he is disable with back problems and knew he would be arrested because his license is revoked, and knew the jail bunks would be hard on his back. since they couldnt find him right after the accident, and they couldnt get a warrant sign on the weekend unless it was something serious. when they made contac with him, they called me and ask if i would agree to have him cited instead of taking warrants out. I told the officer that would serve the same purpose, he will still end up in court

his reason was, he is disable with back problems and knew he would be arrested because his license is revoked, and knew the jail bunks would be hard on his back. since they couldnt find him right after the accident, and they couldnt get a warrant sign on the weekend unless it was something serious. when they made contac with him, they called me and ask if i would agree to have him cited instead of taking warrants out. I told the officer that would serve the same purpose, he will still end up in court

If his license is revoked, he probably has no insurance. Hard to get insurance with a revoked license.

he is being charged with, following to close, no insurance, driving on revoked lic and leaving the scene of an accident. hopefully the judge will give him some jail time

What was his excuse for leaving the scene of an accident??? Did they arrest him for hit & run, like they should??? He should be shot on the spot. No excuse for hitting someone and then fleeing like a coward. Glad you seem to be unharmed though. Good luck with the bike repairs and dealing with insurance companies.

In some states it is a felony to hit and run, carries lots of additional penalties.

Good Luck and glad you are OK. When my bike got hit from behind I had a minor scratch on the rear muffler, The insurance adjuster figured a complete exhaust system in. Make sure you have who ever does the estimate figure in H D replacement parts special attention for painted parts as this may take longer to get these parts

Back