free website stats program Rear-ended in traffic - 02 Electra, now what??? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear-ended in traffic - 02 Electra, now what???

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation and hope things are getting straightened out with the insurance business. Keep us updated on your progress.

Sorry to hear about your rear ending! That's one of my worst fears! Luckily the aren't many stops between here and work and my hours allow me to travel whenever the traffic is lighter than usualy! Ride Safe!

Update:
I got in touch with my insurance carrier and had them out to do an assessment. He only found a bent turn signal bracket, a pushed in exhaust pipe (at the clamp) and the right bag is cracked on the bottom side around the bottom support bar. The front end knocks a little now under heavy bumps, but I would have to take the bike in for the dealer or local Bike shop to tear the forks down to see what it is. About 45 minutes of examination and talking with the adjuster and we were done, and he presented me with a check for the estimate of repair (minus my deductible - 375) and he advised I could do the work myself, or have it done at a dealer. He also said that if I bring to a dealer, let him know so he can follow the progress and add add to the claim if necessary for the clunk in the front end. Honestly, I only noticed the noise when we were inspecting and it only happens when holding the front brake and jamming forward to make the forks dive. Since the bag crack is very small and doesn't appear to be spreading more, I will glue for now, and keep an eye on it. I spent a few hours adjusting the dual pipes to match up again, and the bag mounts so everything is square. I will take to the local Harley wiz and ask him to listen to the forks and give me his opinion. The cool part was, the adjuster said I had 6 years to make the repairs noted in his quote, so no need to loose time during the riding season in Michigan, that was a relief, as Sturgis has been on my mind and may be the last chance I get to go. I consider myself lucky, just to have walked away unharmed, and count my blessings.

I appreciate all the well wishes and look forward to some good miles of safe riding!

Update:
I got in touch with my insurance carrier and had them out to do an assessment. He only found a bent turn signal bracket, a pushed in exhaust pipe (at the clamp) and the right bag is cracked on the bottom side around the bottom support bar. The front end knocks a little now under heavy bumps, but I would have to take the bike in for the dealer or local Bike shop to tear the forks down to see what it is. About 45 minutes of examination and talking with the adjuster and we were done, and he presented me with a check for the estimate of repair (minus my deductible - 375) and he advised I could do the work myself, or have it done at a dealer. He also said that if I bring to a dealer, let him know so he can follow the progress and add add to the claim if necessary for the clunk in the front end. Honestly, I only noticed the noise when we were inspecting and it only happens when holding the front brake and jamming forward to make the forks dive. Since the bag crack is very small and doesn't appear to be spreading more, I will glue for now, and keep an eye on it. I spent a few hours adjusting the dual pipes to match up again, and the bag mounts so everything is square. I will take to the local Harley wiz and ask him to listen to the forks and give me his opinion. The cool part was, the adjuster said I had 6 years to make the repairs noted in his quote, so no need to loose time during the riding season in Michigan, that was a relief, as Sturgis has been on my mind and may be the last chance I get to go. I consider myself lucky, just to have walked away unharmed, and count my blessings.

I appreciate all the well wishes and look forward to some good miles of safe riding!
''

glad to hear it worked out for you. it is nice to have the extra time incase something else pops up. ride safe

Back