free website stats program rear caliper,1999 softail standard | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

rear caliper,1999 softail standard

Braided stainless brake hoses are the way to go and at the age your bike is would be money well spent previous owner of my softail got that right
It may be that you will have to order the brake lines as a lot of the stands may only have stuff for newer models

Brian

just an update, I have on order a Goodridge hose and fittings, for the rear which should come in the post tomorrow, at a special Bike show price of 25.00 pounds all in, thats a 800mm length, plus banjos, washers and a bolt.
the banjo brake light switch bolt is on its way from Hogparts....so you can see I have my saturday project well on the way!

Remember and use dot 5 brake fluid and if the weather is with you you may get the bike out for a wee while over the weekend
Far too much salt on the roads here

Brian

Remember and use dot 5 brake fluid and if the weather is with you you may get the bike out for a wee while over the weekend
Far too much salt on the roads here

Brian

cheers, yes a new bottle of EBC fluid at the ready!.....no salt here on the south coast at the moment, so yes, its looking good for saturday and sunday, although chilly!

cheers, yes a new bottle of EBC fluid at the ready!.....no salt here on the south coast at the moment, so yes, its looking good for saturday and sunday, although chilly!

And finally for those that have helped this thread along the way,I have a fully rebuilt rear brake with a new goodrige hose, a banjo rear brake light switch...and most importantly a brake that does what it's meant to!
Thanks guys...now my next project...a forward controls extension kit!!

Good on you, it takes a bit to get it all sorted out but you stuck with it:s

Oh bother if using the hd forward control extended reach kit you will be moving the brake master cylinder forward and you will need a longer brake hose although there is one in the kit

Brian

Oh bother if using the hd forward control extended reach kit you will be moving the brake master cylinder forward and you will need a longer brake hose although there is one in the kit

Brian

after all that I may not bother...but the ones I have seen the Master Cylinder stays in the same place and the rod to operate is is just longer!

I went with the hd extended reach kit that relocates the master cylinder to the bracket that holds the foot pegs some other kits just use a longer rod
However at the time I got a good deal on the hd kit and knew from experience that hd kits tend to be full and comprehensive with everything you could possibly need to complete the job some other kits may not be so comprehensive and I had a preference for black brackets as some other kits were chrome

Brian

I went with the hd extended reach kit that relocates the master cylinder to the bracket that holds the foot pegs some other kits just use a longer rod
However at the time I got a good deal on the hd kit and knew from experience that hd kits tend to be full and comprehensive with everything you could possibly need to complete the job some other kits may not be so comprehensive and I had a preference for black brackets as some other kits were chrome

Brian

Cheers Brian, so much choice for Harleys!, just a quick search even on e bay brings up lots, but all from the USA.
did you go for the two inch , 3 inch or 4 inch extension, I'm 6ft 2ins and feel I would be more comfortable with a little extra.
will keep an eye out for a UK seller with one

Mine are either 2 or 3 inches I do not remember, I was trying to adjust seating position as I was getting sore after 50 miles or so but ended up with a better seat as the remedy
As I am only 5ft 10inch I was not cramped on the softail but my dyna came with extended reach controls already fitted and I found that bike more comfortable but I still prefer riding the softail

Brian

Back