free website stats program rear caliper,1999 softail standard | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

rear caliper,1999 softail standard

Before you take it all apart, pump the brakes up to see if they lock up again, if they do crack the bleeder @ the caliper loose, see if alot of fluid comes out. If it does and the caliper releases your master cylinder and or brake hose could be the problem. Even tho you have rebuilt the master if it looses its free travel it will lock the caliper up
If the pistons in the caliper move freely the problem is probably not in the caliper

Thanks Brian, I see Hogparts do a rebuild kit, with piston too for around 25.00, or you can just buy the seal and dust seal for a couple of quid...guess the kit is the way to go...?

If it were me I would get the kit from hogparts they are normally fast to get stuff to you and once you have the caliper apart if the original piston is good just replace the seals and put the new piston in the spares bin
I seem to have an ever growing spares bin but never the part I need :(

Brian

If it were me I would get the kit from hogparts they are normally fast to get stuff to you and once you have the caliper apart if the original piston is good just replace the seals and put the new piston in the spares bin
I seem to have an ever growing spares bin but never the part I need :(

Brian
......the parts are arriving tomorrow, I have had great service from the three after market parts suppliers in the UK......helpful, quick service and good prices!....yes, my spares box has already started,since the beginning of 2014!

Before you take it all apart, pump the brakes up to see if they lock up again, if they do crack the bleeder @ the caliper loose, see if alot of fluid comes out. If it does and the caliper releases your master cylinder and or brake hose could be the problem. Even tho you have rebuilt the master if it looses its free travel it will lock the caliper up
If the pistons in the caliper move freely the problem is probably not in the caliper

Thanks Jack, I tackle it tomorrow, so will try that first, I did re-build the master cylinder recently, but have no idea if the piston in the caliper has ever been looked at, all goes with buying an older bike I guess, and once you do it, you know that part is good again!

Thanks Jack, I tackle it tomorrow, so will try that first, I did re-build the master cylinder recently, but have no idea if the piston in the caliper has ever been looked at, all goes with buying an older bike I guess, and once you do it, you know that part is good again!

Rode the bike a week or so back,rode it back into my garage,all well.then today I go to move it,the back brake almost locked up!!.....the pedal has movement and I tried a couple of pumps to rectify the problem...no luck, so this week I will crack the bleeder as suggested and see if it frees it off.
It's a 99 softail standard...single piston caliper, master cylinder rebuilt with new piston and seals in the caliper.....

Morning chaps, well for those that have been giving me some great advice, I hope this may finally get to the bottom of it.....I do have a few mm's to play with in terms of raising the brake pedal, so that may just be enough.
I did read that the brake hose could collapse inside, allowing the fluid through under pressure, but not allowing it to return, anyone had this experience, or heard of it?
the hose is the black rubber one, standard, from new and its 15 years old, so there could be something in that.
I am heading up to the Birmingham NEC this weekend for the Motorcycle show, so if Goodridge hoses have a stand, I may be tempted to buy a replacement!

Yes. I've never had it happen on a bike, but have encountered it several times on automobiles. Simple test if the caliper piston cannot be forced back with reasonable pressure, loosen the brake line at the caliper. If the piston can now be forced back, that indicates a blockage in the line rather than a seized caliper. Good luck.

Yes. I've never had it happen on a bike, but have encountered it several times on automobiles. Simple test if the caliper piston cannot be forced back with reasonable pressure, loosen the brake line at the caliper. If the piston can now be forced back, that indicates a blockage in the line rather than a seized caliper. Good luck.

Cheers for that, as you can see above, caliper rebuilt, new piston and seals, so I guess that is the only weak link!

Braided stainless brake hoses are the way to go and at the age your bike is would be money well spent previous owner of my softail got that right
It may be that you will have to order the brake lines as a lot of the stands may only have stuff for newer models

Brian

Braided stainless brake hoses are the way to go and at the age your bike is would be money well spent previous owner of my softail got that right
It may be that you will have to order the brake lines as a lot of the stands may only have stuff for newer models

Brian

Thanks ,I think thats the way to go, my brake light switch is half way along the hose but I see you can get a switch incorporated in a banjo bolt that would go straight into the master cylinder, then I need just one hose from MC to caliper...another 50 quid or so!!

Back