free website stats program RC oil scavenger. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

RC oil scavenger.

Thanks glider for the link. I checked their website out, but I think the thing is an unnecessary gizmo.

Using and extra quart of oil for each oil change...I think that is just a waste of good oil.

the oil will look dirty in 500-1000 miles anyway. on the newer bike you can bump the engine with the plug wires off and oil plug out and it will purge the oil.

Ah! That's right. Is there an alternative for those folks with newer bikes?

TQ

It can be done in a different way by purging some of the used oil out of the oil filter but this only gets about half of the used oil out on the newer bikes.

I found out on my softail that it made a very noticable difference in the cleanliness of the oil after doing what I posted in the link. The oil stayed clean for quite a while compared to not doing it.

Bought an 07 FLHR, and will be changing to Syn oils; first AMSOIL 20W50 MCV for the engine. I’d like to drain most/all of the old oil, at least this time, without the RC scavenger kit. From reading the many posts here, seems bumping might do the job. Other techniques?
If bumping is spinning the engine with the starter motor, then it seems it would help to remove the spark plugs. Should the plugs be left on the cables and grounded, or does it matter?
Should this be done with the old filter still installed, or with the new filter (using the HD 5 micron filter)? From a flow viewpoint, for the 96ci engines, is the filter on the feed side to the motor (oil tank -> filter -> motor) or on the return side (motor->filter->oil tank)?

Being new to Harleys, I’ve found invaluable information on this forum, and will be forever grateful for the knowledge being shared. Thank you all.

It is always a good idea to ground the spark plug wires anytime you have the ignition on and cranking the engine. I might try using a cheap filter and disconnect the return oil hose and see what comes out like TQ suggested.

Back