free website stats program Ran over a Mattress doing 70 today | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ran over a Mattress doing 70 today

Glad you are OK. I know you didn't have time to react, it makes it scary when stuff like that happens. I won't follow behind anything that is being towed, a vehicle with stuff tied on top, even those cargo tops on the roof of cars and SUV's and anything in or on a truck being hauled. Just because I have seen so much of that kind of thing. I got hit in the helmet by a rock the size of a tennis ball that bounced off of a trailer hauling a skid loader that passed me on the highway. Sometimes you can't avoid it.Be safe.

I once got hit by the top section of an aluminum step ladder that had been pounded flat by traffic. The fairing got some scratching and the rt. turn signal lens got busted and my steel toed work boot lost a small plug of leather. Other that that the bike had almost no other damage. I am now a firm beliver in leaving the crash bars on thease bikes since mine seemed to take the worst of the hit a probably saved me from a possible broken leg so I can appreciate what you experienced. I'm glad we both came out in good shape. Ride safe out there.

Man, that sucks.....Good to hear you made it out of that ok....Here in WA State, it is against the law to not have your cargo tied down and covered......you should say something to your state DOT.....

Glad to know you came out OK, I've never had to avoid that big an obstacle.... Retreads off of trucks make me crazy though!

First, thank God your OK. But as we all know, and almost all of us never do 100% of the time, is allow enough room in front of us to react to anything. We might do it most of the time, but we need to do it all of the time. This is an example to learn from. Back off and allow yourself a chance. Riders that think it will never happen to them are usually the ones we read about. If you ride regularly, you can expect to experience the unexpected and no matter how good of a rider you, are your no match for asphalt at highway speeds. Take this as a lesson and Ride safe.:s

Reading this reminded me of a couple of weeks ago. My wife and I were going on a run up to Houston. About 10 miles from the house I ended up coming up behind a pick-up that had a wall closet in the back. For some reason something told me to slow down. A moment later the unit came flying out of the back of the truck and broke into pieces on the hwy. Luckily I had fallen far enough behind as to maneuver through the debris. And yes the pucker factor was high!

That one is definately a "code brown" moment!

Good job Wrightj123!! :cheers

I have wondered for many years...I had been riding down the highway and was easily able to avoid a mattress that had flown off an overladen truck. Now, not saying I could do anywhere near as good of a job (let's hope), just wondering how it may have played out if all the parameters were just so with a skilled rider at the helm.

I'm so glad you (and your bike) were able to make it through with barely a mark - but a lesson for us all: Stay alert and put a little more space between us and those we follow.

Thanks for the reminder!!

CatWoman :rider

Good to hear you are OK. Might of helped not geting to hit the brakes Take might of kept the front end up more?

I never encountered anything that big. I had a room mate who said he ran over a couch on the freeway with similar results as you. Not sure how much he imbelished the story. Glad you made it out of this one OK

Back