free website stats program Radio Ground Issue? - Please Help! | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Radio Ground Issue? - Please Help!

HA!

1) I can take an allen wrench and hold it to the triple tree ground (yes the real one) and the radio case and it comes to life.

And at the same time you can take a jumper wire from the back of the radio to the tree and it does not play.?

That's impossible. It has to play.

Hoop!

I was looking at the factory manuals for my Dyna, and it has the most beautiful fold out color wiring diagrams you could ask for along with descriptions of what each wire does and what color it is.

I am sure your manual will have these pull out charts also. What we are looking for is the pull out chart that shows the multi pin connector that plugs directly into the back of your radio. It will show all the wires for the speakers, power wires, ground wires, wires for back lighting of the dials, maybe some wires to work with you cell phone and who knows what else. Another name for this is a "Pin Out Chart" That is the picture you really need to have or should have to help you with this problem.

Once you have that along with a meter you will be ready to do some real damage.
It will all make a lot more sense when you see your pull out charts.
I must say HD did a Great job with the wiring diagrams in their service manuals. At least for my bike.

Hoop!

So, we gave up and took it to the HD dealer. They found a loose ground connection that I missed. I don't know which one, but I should know soon. Crazy!

I just read through four pages....and no resolution ???
I have the same problem....what did the dealer find ??? Please !!!

Sept of 2009 was the last activity by this member. Hopefully Hoople or someone with knowledge of this type of problem will be here soon. As I read over the last posts it appears that it was some type of grounding issue. Have you tried using a jumper to ground your unit?

I had the same problem. The difference was that when my wife was riding with me there were no radio issues. I talked to a Harley mechanic and had some ideas about the ground locations. What I found was the ground to the AM/FM antenna was loose as well as the antenna connector. Makes sense now that I think about it. The antenna is grounded to the bike and the radio. The rear connector that was in the trunk would vibrate when riding alone. When my wife was riding she was leaning on the back rest and much less vibration. The original post put on to this when ground the antenna wire at the trip tree.
Good luck.

When removing the radio there is a support wiring post the hold the wiring loom up and is it a plastic barb that went into the bottom of the radio. The usual problem is the main supplu to the ignition switch and the accessories plug into the ignition switch . You may have pulled it out enough that you are not making a good connection any more. When you remove the radio look at it and push it back into the female part .

Back