free website stats program Questions about wind deflectors | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Questions about wind deflectors

I have both the air deflectors on the forks and RT Original heat shields on my 08 Heritage. To me the air deflectors really just get rid of the buffeting from the windshield. My lower legs get just as wet in the rain.

The heat shields don't have as much effect on engine heat on the driver ( that is caused more by windshields/batwing fairings ) when you are moving but do help when you are stopped or riding around town. Their shape doesn't really block the air flow that the oil tank gets when you are moving, in fact they act like an air scoop to get some air flow behind the rear cyclinder. They do help but it can still get hot once the air temp is over 90 F.

I have an oil cooler & oil temp gauge and don't notice any difference in oil temp with either installed.

The fork deflectors & the windshield do add to the drivetrain noise & tire noise the rider hears. A Batwing fairing would be likely be quieter & also warmer as it blocks more air to the rider.

cycleman11, thanks for the post. I really am getting more heat when riding with the fork mounted wind deflectors as opposed to just my windshield. I am going to try the RT heat shields at some point to help with the stop and go traffic. Most likely next spring.

We should be getting some cooler days as fall approaches us here in PA.

Has anyone else felt increased heat when riding with the chrome fork mounted wind deflectors.

You are right on about windshields increasing the engine noise.

Did anyone have issues with the turn signals when installing the deflectors? I felt like I had to force them and the slots did not help.
09 FLSTC

The wind deflectors helped the buffeting. I don't want to ride with out them. As for the heat I can't tell which is better with or without. A engine guard with pegs can lift your legs and feet up away from the heat. But on a 100+ degree day sitting on top of a 200+ degree engine it's just gonna be hot.

Did anyone have issues with the turn signals when installing the deflectors? I felt like I had to force them and the slots did not help.
09 FLSTC

It was a tight fit on my bike also so I took a die-grinder and made the slots a wee bit longer and that solved the problem.

Back