free website stats program Question on loose compensator bolt | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Question on loose compensator bolt

You may be right. I'm talking permatex's "threadlocker" that I used on this project, which is not a loctite product. MY BAD! But for what it's worth, that is what the permatex literature says on it..so maybe I got lucky there...Sorry about that Hoop :)

We are even because I'm not really sure about it either. These days every time you turn around a company is being bought out. Loctite could easily get scooped up by someone like Permatex.

It's funny on the back of my 271 bottles it says "Shake Well" in Big Print. I have NEVER shook a locktite product in my life! Oh no...I sure hope that does not mean I have to re-do all those applications!:)

Don't forget that AutoZone has loaner tools. They likely have a torque wrench with the correct range that you can borrow.

I'm sure other auto part shops have similar loaner programs.

Don't forget that AutoZone has loaner tools. They likely have a torque wrench with the correct range that you can borrow.

I'm sure other auto part shops have similar loaner programs.

Yep, but how many times has it been dropped and mis used?:s

I'm thinking mine came from the factory with blue on the comp nut. Have read several postings over the last week or so of loose comp nuts. Tracked down some history on my bike and only warranty work that was done on it was on the headlight. I'd have to think if anyone had to get into the primary on a nearly new bike, that it would have been done under warranty.

Well I'll be curious what I run into when I put the SE comp on. I cleaned this nut up pretty good with acetone - got all the blue and oil off. I'm hoping a long breaker and cheater pipe will break this thing loose and won't have to resort to a blow torch.

Just looked at the OEM comp sprocket bolt and it has blue threadlock (loctite?). Seem to recall the new bolt that came with the SE comp sprocket kit had yellow threadlock. Used the new one figuring the yellow may have been a MOCO specialty to keep either red or blue from curing on the shelf??

.... These days every time you turn around a company is being bought out. Loctite could easily get scooped up by someone like Permatex.

Just looked at the package and ‘Loctite’ is printed just above the Permatex logo on both the red 262 and the blue 242 packaging. :33:

Attachments

• Loctite_242.jpg
    Loctite_242.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 6
Just looked at the package and ‘Loctite’ is printed just above the Permatex logo on both the red 262 and the blue 242 packaging. :33:

Thanks for the Heads Up. Hope they don't trim the product line too much now that the companies have combined. The old Master Loctite catalog (1999 copyright) was a treat to thumb through. They had a Locker formula for every application you could think of. Incredible product line up that I hope they don't destroy.

And when was the last time it was recalibrated!!?????

Very good point, tool rental is the way to go but when it comes to torque wrenches no one but me uses mine, and I recalibrate at least once a year and I have 5 wrenches for different torque ranges, signed....Capital Jack

Picked up my SE comp kit today and looking over the parts, have a question.

The compensator nut within this kit has a yellow loctite patch on the threads. The manual states to use red loctite, the original comp nut on the bike had a blue loctite patch, and this new one has yellow.

Doc or anyone else having done this recently, did yours have a yellow patch on it? From what I've been able to read on the 'net, yellow is if it is never ever to come out again :laugh...ever! Seriously I'm reading high heat AND impact tool to get loose from what other folks who've used it are saying. Curious others opinions with the sm calling for red and yellow being on the kit bolt....thanks

P1000318.jpg

The compensator nut within this kit has a yellow loctite patch on the threads. The manual states to use red loctite, the original comp nut on the bike had a blue loctite patch, and this new one has yellow.

I would not be stacking any other color of Loctite on top of that new bolt. I would just clean the internal threads in the crank shaft blind hole and install your new yellow coated bolt.

I also would not be too worried about removing the bolt down the road. I can't imagine the bolt you install ever being tighter than a Factory installed bolt you get on a late model bike.

When I removed my my factory installed bolt, I thought the bike was going to come off the ground and fall over. There is not much that can stop an 18" breaker bar with a 2 foot piece of pipe on the end.

Back