free website stats program Question on loose compensator bolt | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Question on loose compensator bolt

I would like to think that the factory didnt put it out like that and that it was done by the previous owner at home
However short cuts due to lack of correct resourses can happen anywhere

Brian

I thought the manual says to replace the bolt after each use. The blue is the lock patch that comes on stock factory bolt. I have resued just clean and add red loctite.

If you use the red, be sure it is the correct number because if you reach for the Red 271, it won't work. It cures so fast, you wont be able to correctly torque the bolt. It will start to harden before reaching final torque spec.

But it sure Holds!!

If you use the red, be sure it is the correct number because if you reach for the Red 271, it won't work. It cures so fast, you wont be able to correctly torque the bolt. It will start to harden before reaching final torque spec.

But it sure Holds!!

ut oh....271 is what I used. I didn't see any other red loctite formula at the Advance Auto where I picked this up. Read the packaging info and didn't read anything that stated a super quick cure time along the lines of what you're stating. Not questioning you....just didn't see anything.

I just had the primary cover off again last night to check the primary chain as noticed a whine coming from the primary ever since tightening the compensator nut. Opened it up while it was still pretty warm and chain had probably 3/16" to 1/4" slack in it while warm and this morning was probably 1/2". So thinking chain/adjuster is ok. Thinking maybe this is normal and just didn't notice it before working on it and now locked onto this area and picking up on it. Whine sounds kinda like a sewing machine on the scale of a motorcycle or power steering pump that's low on oil.

And tightening didn't do away with any of the mechanical noise. It's better but still noisy. Gonna put on an SE comp as soon as I can get around to it. Will be curious if that has any effect on the whine.

Hoople - Still have the packaging that the 271 came in, and on the back it states "Permatex Threadlockers fixture in approximately 20 minutes and are fully cured within 24 hours".

Now if it said it begins to cure in appx 20 min and is fully cured within 24 hours, I'd understand that. Not sure if that's what it's "trying" to say? You got me wondering if I need to open this thing up again and re-do :34:

Most likely the threads you used it on were oily so the 271 most likely did not "take off" like it does on clean dry threads. Locktite 262 is also a "high strength" Red locker which is the stuff HD actually says to use on the compensator bolt. Another good medium strength Red locker is 242 which has a fairly long working time.

When using 271 on CLEAN & DRY threads you only get 1 fast chance to put the pieces together. Lets say your putting some 90* plumbing elbows together using Red 271. When you rotate the fitting to line them up,,,,if you go too far, your NOT going back.. It is too late. Not 20 minutes,, more like 10 seconds. But the threads are CLEAN and DRY.
But when using 262, you can overshoot your final position and then back up a bit to line everything up. It takes minutes to really set.

I really don't think you will have a problem because the threads were probably oily and the locker does not really work to it's true capacity if the threads are not dry & clean. If the threads were oily I would bet you would be able to loosen them even today without heat.

I thought the manual says to replace the bolt after each use. The blue is the lock patch that comes on stock factory bolt. I have resued just clean and add red loctite.

I'm thinking mine came from the factory with blue on the comp nut. Have read several postings over the last week or so of loose comp nuts. Tracked down some history on my bike and only warranty work that was done on it was on the headlight. I'd have to think if anyone had to get into the primary on a nearly new bike, that it would have been done under warranty.

I really don't think you will have a problem because the threads were probably oily and the locker does not really work to it's true capacity if the threads are not dry & clean. If the threads were oily I would bet you would be able to loosen them even today without heat.

Well I'll be curious what I run into when I put the SE comp on. I cleaned this nut up pretty good with acetone - got all the blue and oil off. I'm hoping a long breaker and cheater pipe will break this thing loose and won't have to resort to a blow torch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoople - Still have the packaging that the 271 came in, and on the back it states "Permatex Threadlockers fixture in approximately 20 minutes and are fully cured within 24 hours".

You just raised another question for me. Unless they recently got bought out, Loctite is actually a company that has nothing to do with Permatex.

Possibly Permatex is now making their very own "271" that has a curing time. Don't know. But the 271 by Loctite is some really crazy stuff.

I thought Permatex & Loctite were totally separate companies, but who knows maybe they have now joined.

Back