free website stats program Question about performance mods... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Question about performance mods...

I agree with others here if the bikes perform well enough for your needs and are happy with their performance then keep them in stock condition. You can add accessories and chrome and not reduce longevity but in the end it is entirely dependant on your own preferences as to whether mods are worth it or not.

Like a lot of the forum members, as a younger man, I did a lot of things with my cars and bikes. My '99 Ultra is just for riding. The bike had the V&H on it when I bought it. About a year ago, when I determined that my cam tensioners were toast, I elected to do the roller chain update to go with the hydraulic tensioners. Since I couldn't use my old cams, I went with a set of Andrews 26N's which according to the manufacturer, are designed for two up riding. To allow for more fuel, I added a TFI unit and a Big Sucker air cleaner (to go along with the cams change and the V&H pipes). This setup gives a lot of low end torque and some added HP. It comes on at about 1800 and is done by 4000. Gas milage is about the same (45mpg) and the increased low end performance IMO was worth it. Of course, the other rationale on my part was the need to update the tensioners. Hope this helps...

I have a 89 EVO that I cleaned up the intake and exhaust ports and intake and carb with 1000 grit sand paper by hand to make better flow and all my freinds said they couldn't believe how good it went for being stock. It's pretty cheap if you do it yourself. just make any place air flows smooth. The best part is it dont abuse any other part of the motor, it makes it easier. I have 33,000 miles on it with no trouble.:s

Depends how much $ ya got and how much ya wanna spend. Speed is expensive, period. Figure about a $100 or an HD if you will per pony, after it's all said and done. Carb, cam, igition module, pipes, and coil, as well as heads being at least being street ported work together. So that being said how fast did you say that wanted to go? :bigsmiley24:

I originally went into the cam chest to replace the inner bearings. It turned into the cam conversion kit, mild cams and B lifters being replaced. Also a Dobeck TFI to make it come alive. Not a lot of cash outlay for some complimentary mods that have produced a lot of :bigsmiley24:

After this work was completed kemo and I started talking big bore kits and porting and polishing :s

Back