free website stats program pulley removal question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

pulley removal question

I know getting an oversized wheel and tire back into place is a beast, but as has been mentioned before you will need to be careful getting it off and even more careful getting the pully back on while its on the bike. I don't know how you got the wheel/tire compo on, but I went to Walmart and purchased an automotive scissor jack and place the tire in the cradle of the jack. With the tire on the jack I can raise the tire up very slowly and get the caliper and spacers in place than slide the axel in. I have no strain on me and it's a one man job.

That's how I did it too. Used my car floor jack. I also used it when removing the front incase the weight loss up front caused the bike to lunge. Pumped the jack to the rear tire
WAP.gif

I don't have a Duece, mine is a softail though and I bet it's very similar if not identical. I have done an instal with leaving the caliper mounted to the bracket and have found that its easier to remove the caliper from the bracket and let it hang outside the swingarm. Once the wheel is in place on the axel, I reinstal the caliper over the roter and onto the caliper bracket. It amounts to two more bolts to R&R, but a whoile lot less bad language. Easier to not beat up you brake pads that way too.

I got the pulley off with the wheel still in place. It was a pain, especially doing it alone. I will definitely get an extra pair of hands for the install of the new one. Gotta wait il this one gets to hog pro, then to renegade then back to hog pro then back to me. Ugh. Can't ride in this weather anyway. But I want it done.
WAP.gif

I have been waiting too... join the club. Will be maybe next weekend. Difference is that the last few days here have been 50 and clear skys, no wind. PERFECT! Saw a guy on an RK yesterday, I was way jealous

I have been waiting too... join the club. Will be maybe next weekend. Difference is that the last few days here have been 50 and clear skys, no wind. PERFECT! Saw a guy on an RK yesterday, I was way jealous

I will be waiting til atleast the end or march/early april when all the stones/salt are off the roads.. Dont want my new chromies chipped/corroded from salt.

Back