free website stats program pulley removal question | Harley Davidson Forums

pulley removal question

Jdsmitty10

I found some bad chrome on my new pulley. Hogpro wants me to send it back. question is, will I be able to pull the pulley off by removing the axle but not dropping the wheel out of place? My wheel was VERY difficult to get in there and I would rather not have to pull it completely out. If i unbolt the pulley, will it slide outta place? or is there a spline it fits on?

It should have 5 bolts holding it onto the hub, and it sits on about a 1/4" deep flange milled onto the hub. You might not have to take the wheel entirely off, but it might be easier that way. Not sure there will be room for the pulley to come out seperatly. Good luck

You can get the pully off without completely removing the wheel from the swing arm. My slant on this is that you are sending the pully back because of a chrome quality problem. If you put any scratches in the pully removing it, the mfg. may not honor a replacement. Take the time to be careful.

Breeze is right on the money. You don't want to give them an excuse to not exchange the pully. I hope that it is time for a new rear tire so that you can combine the job.
kemo

Breeze is right on the money. You don't want to give them an excuse to not exchange the pully. I hope that it is time for a new rear tire so that you can combine the job.
kemo

Its a brand new set of renegades. So no it's not time for a tire change. Just wish I saw the flaw before installing. Live and learn. Thanks for the suggestions. I will be REAL CAREFUL
WAP.gif

If you have to man handle it to get it off I would wrap a heavy towel around it and wiggle it so you wont scratch it or mar it and try not to drop it:s

I think the best bet is take the wheel all the way off. You're going to have to torque that new pulley anyway, and that will be much easier off the bike.

I think the best bet is take the wheel all the way off. You're going to have to torque that new pulley anyway, and that will be much easier off the bike.

I would rather stuggle with torquing than getting the wheel back in place..it was next to impossible to not mess up the new wheel getting past the caliper/getting the caliper back in position. thanks for the replies..i started to work on it tonite..but of course i dont have a 9mm hex...have teh 10 and the 8 hah...gotta go buy a new tool..

Do you remove the caliper from the mount and let it hang outside th swingarm? I've tried doing it the other way and it's a bear. Way easier if you unbolt the caliper and thread it on after you get the wheel in place

Do you remove the caliper from the mount and let it hang outside th swingarm? I've tried doing it the other way and it's a bear. Way easier if you unbolt the caliper and thread it on after you get the wheel in place

the caliper is on the axle and sits on that bracket on the swingarm( dont know if yours is the same). I pulled it out(into the triangular shape of the swingarm) to install the wheel but when you add 1" to the wheel width, plus upsize from a 160mm to a 180mm its REAL tight.The stock deuce wheel was tight getting out. So once the wheel is in place, its next to impossible to get the caliper back on the rotor without scratching up the chrome rim or the inside(polished) area of the caliper. how i even got it in i dont know to this point..but i DEFINATELY am not taking it back out. I have heard since that i coulda took the brake pads out to give me more wiggle room..

Back