free website stats program Pull the tank? Why? | Harley Davidson Forums

Pull the tank? Why?

alarman

I'm looking at the directions for a SE stage 1 air cleaner kit # 29260-08 (downloaded here) for my 08 FLHR/C. In the directions it says to remove the fuel tank. I have looked at the air cleaner assembly, and for the life of me can't see why tank removal would be necessary to accomplish the AC swap. Can someone educate me?

Harley probably puts that in the instructions so they can charge an extra 1/2 hour labor for those that get it installed at the dealership. :small3d031:

Harley probably puts that in the instructions so they can charge an extra 1/2 hour labor for those that get it installed at the dealership. :small3d031:

That is pretty good and probably true, kind of like Aldata gives you info for working on cars and trucks but a good tech can form his own and most times easier and faster ways of doing that task

It makes it a little eaiser to get to some of the fasnters on the bracket. Not really necessary but a dose of confusion factor is always good in instructions.

I took my tank off and it made it a lot easier to get to some of the screws and/or bolts. Bottom line is that taking the tank off is nowhere near as intimidating as it seems. Pull the fuel pump fuse and run the engine until it quits so there's no residual pressure when you disconnect the fitting. I've had mine off 3 or 4 times now and I wonder what i was ever so scared of.

OK, thanks guys. Now I am looking at the SE Heavy Breather model, and the similar model from K&N. As I read more, I didn't realize those types allowed for more air flow than the stage 1 kit that fits under the stock cover. I don't really mind the way they look, but do they hit your leg sticking out like that?

OK, thanks guys. Now I am looking at the SE Heavy Breather model, and the similar model from K&N. As I read more, I didn't realize those types allowed for more air flow than the stage 1 kit that fits under the stock cover. I don't really mind the way they look, but do they hit your leg sticking out like that?

I have the SE Stage 1 Air Filter on my SG and it doesn't bother my right leg at all. Not sure if the other ones you mention flow enough extra air to really make a difference but if you're worried about how far they stick out, I'd just go with the SE Stage 1 like I have. Your call, obviously.

Back