free website stats program protective covers for touring saddlebags | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

protective covers for touring saddlebags

All the info on the different covers is great and I'm sure it is more of a personal taste thing to choose one over the other. At 68 I too have to watch how I pick my leg up over the bike. What I have found that works for me is to mount he bike from the right side. This makes me lift my leg over the right saddlebag (it's sticking up higher with the bike on the stand) and seems to help with not dragging my boot over the left bag which is lower. Might not work for everyone but it does for me.

thanks Don. I am 64 and certainly not as agile as I used to be. I usually just pick up my leg and go over the seat and not around and over the bags. (Does that make sense?) But occasionally, yep I go over the bags and KNOWing I dont want to hit them - I still do! Totally my fault for not picking my dang boot up a little higher. BUT if its gonna happen, I want to put on some sorta protective covers - just for looks. The bike is black and scuff marks show up realllll nice!!!

Bill

thanks to all that took time to respond. I am just not certain at this point, but, its looking like I may go with the Mustang covers. I've read the HD ones uses lots of velcro that could be a pain to install. Well, I will write back with what I did and how they went on. One thing is for certain - as time goes on - I WILL scuff up the covers more and more - not intentionally, but, I just will. My Heritage had the leather bags and they seamed to be somewhat narrower than the Hard bags plus touching them did not hurt anything.

You know what i just thought about - HD could just paint the covers (any color) with some of that 'wrinkle' paint (I think that's what its called) instead of the highly polished and shined paint - just the covers. hummmm

Be safe riding and thanks to all
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill you may be on to something with the paint. One of the Mods. here has painted some parts with truck bed liner paint. It looks great and it's made to walk around on. I would guess the prep work would be the most important part.

If anyone is considering putting the clear stuff on, I'd love to see some before and after shots. I just thought it was me but on my first long ride, coming from riding a Street Bob I didn't quiet get my right leg over the right saddle bag and got 3 grit groves in the lid. No big deal being it's to ride but the clear stuff would help it stay pretty longer.

If anyone is considering putting the clear stuff on, I'd love to see some before and after shots. I just thought it was me but on my first long ride, coming from riding a Street Bob I didn't quiet get my right leg over the right saddle bag and got 3 grit groves in the lid. No big deal being it's to ride but the clear stuff would help it stay pretty longer.

Battle scares are all part of the journey.:s

I try not to get to worked up over a boot dragging across my lids...I ride a motorcycle, not a museum piece .

Left is 3m right isn't covered
Sorry , I tried to upload pictures but I must be too stupid.

Left is 3m right isn't covered
Sorry , I tried to upload pictures but I must be too stupid.

Click on reply to thread. On upper margin of box you will see a paper clip. It is attachments. Clip on paper clip and browse your computer and attach pictures there. Hope that helps.....:s

I have the Mustang covers on my 2006 SG, found matching Harley patches and sewed over the Mustang symbols. Fit tighter than the HD covers with no velcro strip.

Back