free website stats program protective covers for touring saddlebags | Harley Davidson Forums

protective covers for touring saddlebags

Billbo

Hey everyone again. I have a BLACK RK and no matter how HARD I try, my dang boot drags over the top of the bags when dismounting. I hate that too!
I am careful but my big foot just hits from time to time. Im asking about the Mustang saddlebag covers. From what I have read they appear to be the best fitting and looking. Does anyone have any input regarding saddlebag covers? how about the 3M clear plastic stuff?
Thanks
Bill

I've got the HD covers and the HD cover for the tour pac.
I don't have any problems and like them.

I use the 3m for protection for the same reason you need .(EDIT) to make templates but once done they look good. The plastic makes a little difference as it appears like looking through water but that is to me only and no one has ever mentioned seeing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the HD covers and the HD cover for the tour pac.
I don't have any problems and like them.

Googled the Mustang covers, they look good.

Also at JP the T-BAGS brand looked very good and contoured.

T-Bags Saddlebag Caps | 634-338 | JP Cycles

I use the 3m for protection for the same reason you need .(EDIT) to make templates but once done they look good. The plastic makes a little difference as it appears like looking through water but that is to me only and no one has ever mentioned seeing it.

Thanks all for replys. Think I will go look at the HD ones before I get the Mustang covers. Seems I read the HD ones may be difficult to install.. not sure tho.
Always appreciate the input here :D

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I would go with the clear ones. I think the leather type ones change the looks to much unless bike is black...

Think I will go look at the HD ones before I get the Mustang covers. Seems I read the HD ones may be difficult to install.. not sure tho.
Bill

They are a little bit of a pain to install. I took the lids off and brought them in the house so I could lay them out on the carpeting. Then clean inside with rubbing alcohol where the Velcro strips need to be. Then you need to center the cover and do some stretching to get it tight to the lid. It's not really too bad.
One of the Mustang reviews at JP said No Velcro, they slip on..?? Mustang is Know for decent stuff tho.
The T-bags is contoured, so they (look to from pictures) fit good without the stretching.

Personally I would go with the clear ones. I think the leather type ones change the looks to much unless bike is black...

I like the look on mine :D
03 king.jpg

All the info on the different covers is great and I'm sure it is more of a personal taste thing to choose one over the other. At 68 I too have to watch how I pick my leg up over the bike. What I have found that works for me is to mount he bike from the right side. This makes me lift my leg over the right saddlebag (it's sticking up higher with the bike on the stand) and seems to help with not dragging my boot over the left bag which is lower. Might not work for everyone but it does for me.

My 13 limited had no protection on the saddle bags & the previous owner put a big scuff on the front corner(that I removed now) but after 1 week with no saddle bags covers or rails & purchased the bag rail covers from my local Harley dealer & installed them in about hour . I personaly would rather look @ chrome rail protectors then some black plastic covers & have similar protection . You can go 1 step farther with the rails & mount the emblem in front -(CLASSIC OR LIMITED) looks great .

Back