free website stats program Problem with 09' Ultra Classic TPS? | Harley Davidson Forums

Problem with 09' Ultra Classic TPS?

M/C Dave

My Ultra's been going into limp mode so I took to Local HD Dealership, they said the problem is with V&H fuel pack (which wasn't installed @ dealership) I disagree with that.
After bringing the bike home I've found that with fuel pack removed, symptoms are the same. The yellow CEL comes on briefly after bike is started and then goes out. throttle works but VERY unreliable/regularly goes back into limp mode sometimes within a 1/2 mile of taking off point allways within a short time... making bike non-ridable.
DTC's are:p2135, P0132, P0152 and P1511 or TPS Correlation Error, Front o2 Sensor High, Rear o2 Sensor High and EFI Power Management Mode.(remember the fuel packs removed)
I believe it to be the TPS and the HD Dealership to be for whatever reason dodging the real issue.
Any comments? Thanks!

Mine started throwing 2135 and 1511 after I changed grips. I kept clearing it out and happened again. I then took the entire right hand assemply appart and reinstalled it ensuring the wires were not pinched. Been close to 6 months now and it's all fine.

The other item I have heard about is the dealer repacking the connections near the servo motor and ECM with grease, just ensuring there is a good connection.

If my CEL comes back on, I'll be stopping by the dealer and letting them figure it o ut.

Good luck and keep us posted.

On my way down to South FL on Saturday morning, I rode close to 1 hour and then I stopped to get gas before hitting 95. Started the RG and the CEL came on.... I'm like darn! I made it to S FL (in limited performace mode, rode fine, just felt like it had 60% throttle response).

Sunday early morning before I left, I took apart the right side control assembly, moved the wires around, put it back together, then wiggled the connection at the servo motor and reset the DTCs. The CEL light went out but it still had the historical code of P1510.

So I cruised home Sunday from S FL (bike drove great!) and dropped it off at my local HD dealer. I showed them the historical code and they said they will look into it. I reminded them of the TT418, thanks Hoople!

So they have had it all day Sunday and today. Will let you know the outcome. I hope they have it fixed before Friday for Biketoberfest!

Ride safe and have fun.

Will let you know the outcome.

The only thing to remember is that "fretting" is the metal actually wearing and pit marks (not burn marks) forming in the pin side of the connector. Once the pits are present there is nothing you can really do except replace the connector. All the lube does is HELP prevent the wearing of the connector. It actually does not eliminate the micro-motion or ribbing action of the connector. So in time even with the lube, the connector will wear. I am sure down the road there will be an engineering change to the entire setup (electrical connector) to prevent the rubbing motion to start with. I would bet (or at least hope) on the 2011 models they used a different connector or the same connector with an additional "anti-motion" retainer to keep the connector from moving.

The Gold flash connectors are much better than the tin connectors but unless you stop the rubbing action, even the Gold flashing connectors will wear through in time. Replacing the entire grip and connector will only temporarily repair the problem. It will come back again. Adding the lube only extends the problem a little bit further. The cure all is stopping the micro-motion action.

Picked up the RG this morning. I had them change the oil (I bring my own Mobil 1 V-Twin) and they washed the bike so it was all clean.

They did say they replaced a couple of the "pins" at the throttle control actuator. No CEL when I started it up and it rode great on the way home. Only time will tell.

Ride safe and have fun.

Follwoing up on this for everyone to see. My CEL came back on last Monday (after I got home from St. Augustine). Codes, P1510 and P2138. I dropped the RG off at my dealer and told them the issue. I told them I had it in prior. What they said, was before they only repacked the connections with Nyogel and not replace any pins. Well this time I picked it up on 11/5, my repair order stated this:

PN# 72168-07 Quantity - Three Terminal Sockets - #18-20 AWG
PN# 72605-08 Quantity - Two Terminal Sockets - 20 AWG (GOLD)
PN# 72605-08 Quantity - One Terminal Socket - 20 AWG (GOLD)

No CEL yesterday on the ride home. I'm going out for a ride today, so will report back if the CEL comes back on. I hope this solves it.

Thanks Hopple for your insight and thought you'd like to see what the repair order stated.

Ride safe and have fun.

Back